Trusted Contributor

Re: The Swiss Colony: do you order from them?

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Just received their catalog. I remember their store in our local mall when I was a child. Wonderful stuff. 

I have never ordered from their catalog and don't know anyone who does. Do you? Have you? Looking for "reviews", lol, and seeing if I should order a few of their items.

Thank you!!

@FiddleDeeDee 

You might want to visit TrustPilot dot com and see what The Swiss Colony customers say about their experiences with that place.  TrustPilot is a website which give people info about websites, products and reviews. It will also let you know if a website is a scam. For me it's a valuable site for when I know nothing about any particular website.

trusted pilot gives 2.1 stars for reviews, I will pass, got a catalog today.  I do remember Hickory Farms was sold even at Kmart.  

Honored Contributor

Most of the places with holiday food are expensive and the food is average or below.    Honey Baked Ham is a good source.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I've been curious about their dobosh tortes. But Alaska has its own delivery issues and I wonder what condition it will be in.

Super Contributor

I was a customer for many years. Last year, they did not deliver a gift to a close friend of ours and failed to notify me until I received a credit after Christmas last year. When I called, their explanation was as that they wanted to give the vendor a chance, but time ran out. I told them to close my account twice (as recently as yesterday) when they sent me a letter that I had an account there to use. As far as their catalog, they had much more variety in the past and more items where delivery was included in the price. Beware!
Respected Contributor

@traveler  the reviews say they are dry and crumble. i would bet they are frozen when shipped. my mom made these when i was  kid. basically layers of  Nabisco Social Tea cookies and a chocolate ganache filling using cocoanut oil . This torte is not baked. You assemble the ingredients and chill in fridge. some of  the recipes seem to call for egg yolks for the filling. but the filling is not cooked. yuk

Honored Contributor

I have ordered from their Christmas catalog. They usually give you an offer for a free gift so I order something to get it ( honestly if it weren't for the free gift order I wouldn't buy anything). I think they are over priced. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't seen a package of Nabisco Social Tea cookies in quite a while. I remember watching a torte being made on the Great British Baking show. They were using cake layers.

Honored Contributor

i can still buy Social Tea Biscuits in my local grocery store, but they are about $4.50/box.

Honored Contributor

I no longer order from them as I feel the quality doesn't justify their pricing.

Honored Contributor

I received the catalog last week too.. it was a waste of trees... went right into recycle...