Respected Contributor

Re: The Sussex Family Christmas Card

It's not my style, but to each his/her own. 

Super Contributor

I thought my eyes were blurry at first.  

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Personally I'm not crazy about it. I think it would have looked better if they had used a real photograph. It may be "quirky," but I think it's inappropriate for a holiday card you are going to send - to extended family and friends of course. Or maybe this one is for show and the others get another card.  Smiley Wink

@beach-mom 

Seriously???   What, exactly, is so "inappropriate" about the card?   It may be different, but would it have been better to use a generic holiday photo of snow and pine trees?   There is no need whatsoever to plaster Archie's face on a personal card that will end up who knows where on the internet.   

For their families they might have had some really nice actual photos taken and sent.  There is no requirement to put them on a card.

Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

Personally, I like the card.  Maybe they sent a different card to their family and close friends.  I also don't have a problem with their protectiveness of Archie.  We have no idea if they receive the same type of protection that they had in the UK given the laws regarding royalty or even if racism played a role in their stepping back.  

@Linmo 

I think they are smart to protect Archie and avoid having his photo all over the place.  Will and Kate seem to be doing enough of that for both families.

Honored Contributor

It's a nice card.  I'm sure the Queen and Prince Philip were pleased to receive it.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

It's a nice card.  I'm sure the Queen and Prince Philip were pleased to receive it.

@ValuSkr  Not so sure about that. Do the royals usually brag about their charitable gift giving in their Christmas cards?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's not a photo.  I believe they used one of those apps to turn a photo into artwork.  I think they chose an artistic flare  because they are obsessed with not showing any pictures of Archie.  

@chrystaltree   @manny2 

???   I don't know how this is really an "obsession", but most public figures with small children have limits to how much their kids can be photographed, and that is commendable.  (You'll recall, just as an example, that various White House families protected small children from photogs.)

OTOH, Will and Kate will practically pimp their kids out for photographers every chance they get.  I think they should be much more cautious.   Yes, it's the parents' call,  but I think the kids should be better protected.   Meghan and Harry are doing it right, whether you like them or not.

Pimp their kids out? How awful. I've never read that William and Kate sell photos if their children, have you? If so, where?  Wm and Kate don't flood the media with a lot of photos. IMO it seems like just the right amount to expose the kids to being public figures for the rest of their lives and to satisfy public curiousity about them without going overboard.  I think they have struck a nice balance.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I love it!  Sweet and an excellent choice to send greetings of the season in a personal way.

The young, attractive, energetic, modern, vivacious couple need not be bound by Victorian notions of what an "appropriate " Christmas card should look like.

I'll give you 'energetic' and 'modern', otherwise, nyet...

As for the card, can take it or leave it... It probably wouldn't be my choice but there's certainly nothing 'innapropriate' about it... In fact, it seems to have more of a holiday vibe than most of what the actual senior royals tend to send out...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Knowing how these threads tend to unfold, one does have to wonder why those who grow tres fatiguee and tres indignee with regard to commentary and critique of the Sussex former royals persist in participating on them...

Oh well, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

As soon as I saw what this thread was about, I knew it wouldn't stay positive for long.

The "Season of Goodwill" doesn't apply it seems, to any of the Royal Family.  (Thinking to what happened to the thread with Charles' and Camilla's card.  I'm sure this one will soon go the same way.)

Harry and Meghan can't even post a Christmas card without being slammed for it.  Woman Frustrated

@Venezia   Yep.  It's getting tiring wading through all the carp left by all those high horses riding through.

I hope all those who post vitriol for absolutely no reason but to be part of a nasty mean girls group (and those who heart those posts) feel better about themselves each time.

Yeah yeah I've heard it all before about having the "right" to post.  It doesn't mean you have the right to be nasty. (Generic you)

There is a reason why people jump on somebody like that-and it isn't Meghan who is the problem.

I also like the Christmas card.

Peace on earth goodwill to all.

@Cakers3   @Venezia 

Well stated.   I doubt the guilty ones will admit they are nasty, but just reading their posts shows who they are.   

While so many still blame Meghan for the couple stepping back, my guess is that Harry has wanted exactly that since his mother's death, but didn't see a way out.    Not everyone born into a "family business" wants to give up their lives to do what others would prefer they do.  Being coerced into an unwanted life probably isn't much different than doing hard time.  JMO