Honored Contributor

Free concerts in the park, just about every weekend.

jefferson

Honored Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

I remember 'suicide Sid'...he was 1A and when he was called up, he slit his wrists at the draft board....he survived!

Wow.  I'm glad he survived @Justice4all

Respected Contributor

@Justice4all, I remember-believe it or not! My parents hated everything about that epoch in time.....but as I got older, I came to appreciate "Hair"- and that is not a show or movie my parents would have ever seen...but my DH and I love it!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Re: The Summer Of Love 1967

[ Edited ]

I was a young student and interning with an MD at the time.  He started working with and supporting the Haight-Ashbury Medical Clinic. 

People from SF were doing fine until kids from all over the country started pouring in, many with serious problems, drugs, kicked out of their houses.  The City did a lot to help them, shelters for them, the free medical center, free clothes and sandwiches provided by the Diggers, led at the time by the now famous actor, Peter Coyote.

Honored Contributor

I was in high school in '67 but I was fascinated by the whole scene and the music.  My BGF and I drove to the area when we graduated from high school.  

Honored Contributor

1967 was not a good year for me. I was 12yo and my dad was just deployed to Viet Nam. My memories of that time are mostly images of war scenes on the nightly news and fearing the worst.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I was a young student and interning with an MD at the time.  He started working with and supporting the Haight-Ashbury Medical Clinic. 

People from SF were doing fine until kids from all over the country started pouring in, many with serious problems, drugs, kicked out of their houses.  The City did a lot to help them, shelters for them, the free medical center, free clothes and sandwiches procided by the Diggers, led at the time by the now famous actor, Peter Coyote.

LOL...let me clarify my other post.  We came to SF from the southern CA beach suburbs -- not homeless and not druggies.  We stayed one week and headed back for college😜😊.  @Noel7

Honored Contributor

That was the summer I was traveling around the US with friends and we landed smack dab in the center of it all. We met some really cool people and stayed with them for awhile and then were down on our luck and were hungry and crawling with lice. Couldn't wait to get home, so much for the summer of love.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

1967 was not a good year for me. I was 12yo and my dad was just deployed to Viet Nam. My memories of that time are mostly images of war scenes on the nightly news and fearing the worst.

@SilleeMee

I'm sorry you went through that, and at 12 that had to be really painful. 

The war was live on TV almost every night, it was painful for so many, kids being drafted and scared, families apart from each other.

I hope your dad came back well.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

People from SF were doing fine until kids from all over the country started pouring in, many with serious problems, drugs, kicked out of their houses.  The City did a lot to help them, shelters for them, the free medical center, free clothes and sandwiches procided by the Diggers, led at the time by the now famous actor, Peter Coyote.

LOL...let me clarify my other post.  We came to SF from the southern CA beach suburbs -- not homeless and not druggies.  We stayed one week and headed back for college😜😊.  @Noel7

Just in case you are serous, I wouldn't have thought any differently of you @tansy  Woman Happy

I was thinking of all the young kids who showed up, the gay kids kept coming for years, having been kicked out by their parents.  The City took care of as many as possible, so many were hurting.