Respected Contributor

Re: The Stuff of Nightmares!

[ Edited ]

Apparently, Vinegaroons also occur here in Tucson, though in 15 years here, I've never seen one.   (As if scorpions, rattlers, Gila Monsters, tarantulas, windscorpions, black witch moths, tarantula hawks, Palo Verde Root Borer Beetles, Giant Desert Centipedes & other assorted lovelies weren't enough!)

ETA: Almost forgot about the extremely fragrant, Javelina!

Esteemed Contributor

Around where I am, (east coast, mid atlantic) there is a really cool critter called a "wheel bug".  Gets about 1.5 inches in length.  Rarely spotted though - probably knows better.  We run in fear and squash!

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

😳😳😳😳

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Summer rains bring 'acid-squirting land lobster from hell' in Texas
Big Bend National Park shared on their Facebook page earlier this week the news of how these acid spraying arachnids are being brought out of their burrows by summer rains and are in “search of food and love.” They hunt millipedes, scorpions, crickets, cockroaches, and other invertebrates by sensing vibrations with their long, thin front legs. Most commonly seen in the desert, this vinegaroon was taking a stroll around the Chisos Basin campground,” the post reads.

@Anonymous032819 

Well Im all for them if they get rid of the advertised critters....but I wonder how they would do up against another "pest control" creature that nature has provided----a Texas Wolf Spider----that also preys on cockroaches and other pests.....a battle between the two would be stuff that ole Sci Fi movies are made of.....

In this corner we have the Vingaroon----

download.jpg

And in this corner the Texas Wolf Spider----

Never more than 5 feet from a (wolf) spider - Insects in the City

May the best insect win! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

And in this corner we have the CA potatoe bug. Had one of these nightmares stroll into my kitchen a while back but my Silky Terriers were on the job.OMG.... gave me the heebie jeebies. I kept looking around for any of his buddies for days. Pups still looking.

No ID needed. I just wanted to share this beautiful Jerusalem Cricket! It's  one of the biggest ones I've seen.: whatsthisbug

Respected Contributor

We have the pale colored vinegaroons , creepy but harmless. Just glad they don't get as big as they do in the middle eastern countries where they call them camel spiders, and they are as big as your hand 😣. Ick.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

And in this corner we have the CA potatoe bug. Had one of these nightmares stroll into my kitchen a while back but my Silky Terriers were on the job.OMG.... gave me the heebie jeebies. I kept looking around for any of his buddies for days. Pups still looking.

No ID needed. I just wanted to share this beautiful Jerusalem Cricket! It's  one of the biggest ones I've seen.: whatsthisbug

@silkyk, yes, they are very scary to come upon. We have a friend who long ago turned over in bed and was eye-to-eye with one of them. He moved from that apartment!

I saw one once when jogging. Oy vey! There are even more alarming than your picture indicates.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

I remember seeing a few of those as a kid in SoCal & was thoroughly traumatized!  My mom called them Potato Bugs, too, but I've also heard them called Jerusalem Crickets & Child Of The Earth.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

I remember seeing a few of those as a kid in SoCal & was thoroughly traumatized!  My mom called them Potato Bugs, too, but I've also heard them called Jerusalem Crickets & Child Of The Earth.

@aubnwa01 

Yes, the Jerusalem cricket.

In California, I knew him as Mr. Potato Bug.  Here in New Mexico, he is a Child of the Earth.

cap

The day we had a houseguest from California and there was a Child of the Earth on our patio, infested with horsehair worms, I almost called the realtor to tell him we were selling and getting the ____ outta Dodge.

Now that's the stuff of nightmares!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~