Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Stuff of Nightmares!!!

Wonder what they ate to live and get so large?  Don't know much about rattlers except to leave quick!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Wonder what they ate to live and get so large?  Don't know much about rattlers except to leave quick!

I'm guessing the homeowners didn't have a rodent problem.

Honored Contributor

wow, that would scare the garbage out of me.

we have snakes here some are poison, most are the black snake (I want to say rat snakes. they hide under sheds and houses. I do see them when I take my daily walk (live close to a woods area). i just give them a whole lot of room

Respected Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:
Oh my gosh! Nightmares, the willies and the heebejeebies! I have an aversion to snakes that dates back to the first grade (and at 65, I remember it like it was yesterday). Some genius administrator thought bringing a snake handler to our elementary school to do a presentation in the auditorium for all of us would be a great idea. He handled several snakes on stage, explaining what they were, who was venomous and who was not. For his last "act" he wound a boa constrictor around himself and came down the stairs into the auditorium. Now I have to inject, I'm a late November baby, started school at 4 years old (graduated HS and started college at 17), small for my age at the time, and in first grade at the time of this demo of snakes I was 5. The snake charmer walked down the aisle. I was three or four rows from the stage, aisle seat, and this man decided that I, a little 5 year old girl, should be the one he draped a huge boa constrictor around. I freaked out. I was so terrified at the thought of that hideously ugly, huge snake on me, I ran out of the auditorium, peed my pants (yes, humiliated even at that young age), and was so hysterical my mom was called to come pick me up. That terrifying memory stays with me 60 years later AndI can assure you - I HATE SNAKES! Worse than that I' m truly paralyzed when I see them.

If the same incident happened today, the school district and the snake guy would be making a terrified 5 year old a multi-millionaire after all of the law suits were settled!

This story is a gem!  @Its Me LuLuBelle2 ...but I am sorry that your terror of all snakes? Has persisted!

Respected Contributor

The real nightmare would be if a rattlesnake was found in MY yard ... 

I can hear me screaming now ... as would my entire street ...   ‼️

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  What a horrible story.  I cannot imagine how frightening for anybody, much less a small child.  What was that person thinking?  I would be haunted by that the rest of my life - probably every night.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Reminds me of stories I saw about critter infestations on a TV show called "Infested". A guy and his wife and kids bought a house. Then weeks later kids spotted a snake on their yard. Dad got rid of it. Then the worst part comes...they started smelling something horrid inside their house, like musty doo doo. All the while there were more snakes being spotted on their lawn so they called a pest control guy and he crawled beneath the house in the crawl space and found hundreds of snakes living there. Turned out the original owners who sold them the house knew about the problem but did not say anything. The snakes have been coming there like forever to gather and mate...like clock-work. 

The family eventually packed up and moved out.

Honored Contributor

They eat rodents, frogs, other snakes, anything they can catch but they're great for rodent control.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

All snakes bite poison or not don't mess with them.Wonder if the owner didn't hear the rattles or hissing going on. They had to come out searching for food & water. How it got to that huge problem is something. The snake removers need to be congratulated doing that job. 

Honored Contributor

There are lots of snake wranglers here in Texas. They are like the Orkin man.... but they wear a cowboy hat, boots and jeans instead of a white uniform...and they never have anyone complain about what they charge...they will pay anything to the snakes out!