Esteemed Contributor

The Stuff of Nightmares!

[ Edited ]

Oh, heck no!

This would have me running and screaming!

Accessibility Widget

Close Alert

Summer rains bring 'acid-squirting land lobster from hell' in Texas
Large black vinegaroon showing thin "whip" tail; long, thin front legs; and heavy mouthparts that serve as pincers. | Photo: CNN Newsource <p>{/p}
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon

BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, Texas (WOAI/KABB) — We bet ‘acid spraying Vinegaroons’ weren’t on your bingo card for 2021.

Big Bend National Park shared on their Facebook page earlier this week the news of how these acid spraying arachnids are being brought out of their burrows by summer rains and are in “search of food and love.”

The National Park Service says the creatures are about three inches long and relatively unharmful unless you annoy them.

They can pinch with their heavy mouth parts, also known as pedipalps, and can shoot a spray of 85% acetic acid (vinegar) from the base of their "whip" to protect themselves, the park says in their post.

The park adds the Vinegaroons are nocturnal and can’t see very well.

“They hunt millipedes, scorpions, crickets, cockroaches, and other invertebrates by sensing vibrations with their long, thin front legs. Most commonly seen in the desert, this vinegaroon was taking a stroll around the Chisos Basin campground,” the post reads.

Female Vinegaroons can be seen sometimes carrying hatchlings on their back.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Stuff of Nightmares!

@Anonymous032819   YUCK!!

Contributor

They aren't so bad. I have seen lots of them outside at my house. They do stink when they spray, though. Smells like strong vinegar.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 @Clearly something for the entomologist to love, but not me!

Honored Contributor

I'd rather run across this critter than the 3 ft timber rattler a family member sent me a picture of from their stroll in rural Morgantown, WV this week!   

Esteemed Contributor

nice! 

Honored Contributor

"Don't Mess with Texas"

Honored Contributor

It looks like a lobster cockroach combo. I'd rather see that than a snake or big alligator.

Honored Contributor

Somebody in my neighborhood just posted a picture of this thing on the NextDoor app.  Found one in their house.  I've never seen one.  Apparently they're harmless to people. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Sound fine to me.  Look at what they eat.  I consider them natural insect control, especially if they don't bother us if we leave them alone.  I might not want to see a herd of them coming at me.....

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.