Respected Contributor

Re: The Strength and Bravery of Posters

May I take a moment to let some know what DH & I are going through in our neighborhood.

A few years ago shortly after we moved in our neighbors planted trees in their courtyard that hung into and over our gutters we had just paid $1000 to have installed.  I called and asked the husband to do something about the problem and he uttered an awful remark and hung up on me.

I wrote a respectful letter to them and they yelled at us in their courtyard untill Dennis went out and they told him "we don't like you, we don't want you here, why don't you just go commet suside!  They later lied and called the PD  and said we had given them a nasty letter.  I showed the officer the letter as I had made a copy for our HOA!  He agreed it was a nice letter.

The HOA manager asked us for a picture and then called the neighbor and told him to remove the trees or face fines.  He was even more disrespectful with her.

The husband made 2 physical attempts attacking Dennis (one in his vehicle) so we called PD and they advised us to get a restraining order.  After we did this couple spread lies about us saying Dennis was a convicted fellon (murderer) and he beat me!  He is a Retired Army 1SG with survivor guilt PTSD from serving in both infantry and 20 years in recruiting.  We have been hapily married for 34 years.

Even though we have never done anything but good deeds for all our neighbors the lies stuck with some and Dennis is the neighborhood scapegoat.  It has hurt him.  Last year his father took his own life in his home in Michigan.  He does most of the dog walking and can feel hate from people that do not even know him.  They call him "the Army guy with the tatoos."  So that is why we are selling what we thought was going to be our "last" home.

Our last neighborhood liked us and respected us  so that is why we are selling and moving.  I didn't want to write about this until we had moved but I fear the pressure will push Dennis into a depression.

Forgive me for hijacking your very important thread but it moved me to tell our story.

God bless the neighbors here and everywhere who give people a chance and don't just jump on the" blind lie bandwagon!"

Cathy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@OKPrincess wrote:

@Cakers3 Thank you. What’s important for us learning from each other is Knowledge is Power. We need each other. Thanks to those who have opened their hearts because I have too.

Indeed... 

I call it "triple e":  Educate.  Encourage.  Empower. 

Something that should constantly be shared.

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3, thank you. I think most of us have "dark times." How often is what's important...

Honored Contributor

Yes, there was a time in my life when I just could hardly make it through the days......  It was when I found out my husband was having an affair with his secretary, 30 years younger than he.  This affected me emotionally, physically, and mentally.  One night I was talking on the phone with my very dear friend and told her that I just wanted to die.  I was ready with some pills, but a policeman appeared at my front door.  He wanted to come in.....spent almost 2 hours with me before he left when he knew I would be ok, and that my life was more important than my husband.  Yes, he saved me from doing what I wanted to do.  Very thankful for his spending the time with me.  

My marriage ended up in the divorce court.....  which made me a stronger woman.  

Respected Contributor

Dear @ShowMe I'm sorry to hear what happened with your marriage!  Glad you are stronger and I'm sure your strength has helped more than one person here!

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3....thank you for your kind, caring, sincere post.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

I am amazed, but not surprised, by the strength of posters who are struggling with depression; and especially I have been reading time and time again with admiration for the bravery to speak up, sharing your stories, sharing your deepest feelings, putting it all out there with such grace.

I saw dooBdoo's post first and left her a yellow rose in friendship and support in AF; and now I want to leave one for all of you.  You who struggle with the darkness, you who have loved ones who left this world, and you who may not have experienced the current topic but still offered a hug, a kind word, and took the time to express empathy and kindness.

This topic of suicide isn't just about Bourdain and Spade; the topic is about all those in the background who had to say good-bye to a love one before their time was up; and it is about all of those especially who feel alone in their struggle with depression and the darkness that covers them, preventing the penetration of the light of hope from entering.

So I salute all of you; I share very little but I do take much from those who do. Be well, be kind, and try to remember that if you disagree with somebody's decision, perhaps it is better to sit back; read a little more; cull some humanity from it all, and perhaps be able to change your mind about the post you are about to make.

Related image

Thank you @Cakers3. You've shared such a caring and loving message with everyone here, and we are very grateful. I hand a yellow rose back to you in gratitude xoxxox Image result for yellow rose

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Jackhound Mom

How awful for both of you.  I simply cannot imagine having to live that way.

Since you have resolved to move, may I suggest you find an area (if possible) where you are free of a HOA and neighbors.

While my experience living in a "neighborhood" with an HOA was mostly positive, I'm happiest being alone with no one around me. 

I wish the same for you and your husband.

Esteemed Contributor

Cakers, I can't say it any better than what our fellow poster's already said.  Thank you so much for your words of kindness, caring, and understanding.  I pray that the ones who are hurting find the love and help they need. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

May I take a moment to let some know what DH & I are going through in our neighborhood.

A few years ago shortly after we moved in our neighbors planted trees in their courtyard that hung into and over our gutters we had just paid $1000 to have installed.  I called and asked the husband to do something about the problem and he uttered an awful remark and hung up on me.

I wrote a respectful letter to them and they yelled at us in their courtyard untill Dennis went out and they told him "we don't like you, we don't want you here, why don't you just go commet suside!  They later lied and called the PD  and said we had given them a nasty letter.  I showed the officer the letter as I had made a copy for our HOA!  He agreed it was a nice letter.

The HOA manager asked us for a picture and then called the neighbor and told him to remove the trees or face fines.  He was even more disrespectful with her.

The husband made 2 physical attempts attacking Dennis (one in his vehicle) so we called PD and they advised us to get a restraining order.  After we did this couple spread lies about us saying Dennis was a convicted fellon (murderer) and he beat me!  He is a Retired Army 1SG with survivor guilt PTSD from serving in both infantry and 20 years in recruiting.  We have been hapily married for 34 years.

Even though we have never done anything but good deeds for all our neighbors the lies stuck with some and Dennis is the neighborhood scapegoat.  It has hurt him.  Last year his father took his own life in his home in Michigan.  He does most of the dog walking and can feel hate from people that do not even know him.  They call him "the Army guy with the tatoos."  So that is why we are selling what we thought was going to be our "last" home.

Our last neighborhood liked us and respected us  so that is why we are selling and moving.  I didn't want to write about this until we had moved but I fear the pressure will push Dennis into a depression.

Forgive me for hijacking your very important thread but it moved me to tell our story.

God bless the neighbors here and everywhere who give people a chance and don't just jump on the" blind lie bandwagon!"

Cathy

@Jackhound Mom, what you describe is such a nightmare that it hardly sounds real, but I know that it is. The power of one narcissistic sociopath is so very frighening -- the power to bend reality and influence minds.

I hope that you and your husband find peace elsewhere.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland