Honored Contributor

Re: The Southwest is Burning!

@dancingwoman.   I thought about you when I heard there was a fire near Durango.  I take it you're not in imminent danger?  I used to get that smell when I lived in West Texas where range fires were common.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

This evening they said the big fire had consumed 27,000 acres.  It could be a month or more before it's fully contained.  It's in an area under the very highest rated drought condition; we're the second highest which is "severe".

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 We live south of town so no danger for us ....thanks for asking.  Today there wasn't much wind..they have the fire 10% contained so that is good.  

We were awakened by the smoke last night...I just put the cover over my head so I wouldn't smell it...lol

Rain is predicted for tomorrow but there are no rain clouds so far tonight.  

Keeping fingers crossed....THX...DW

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman.  I think we're all praying for rain tomorrow and there seems to be a good chance here.  I've got my fingers crossed, especially for the burn areas.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Forecasts show its not going to be a good summer above normal temps for most of the US

What can make our area even worse for allergies....and people with breathing issues (asthma, emphysema etc) is 2 situations:

Smoke from agricultural burning from Mexico and South America....This happens usually in June happening now, but at least the smoke has been very light.......................

And then another phenomenom caused by a strong El Nino weather pattern ---   we get African dust---yep it travels 5,000 strong winds called "easterlies" blow dust from Africa straight toward the Caribbean and then turning north toward Texas, sending a larger than normal number of Sahara Desert dust clouds our way.  This usually happens in July.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Are you getting any rain today @Kachina624? I hope so! Weather maps look promising.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Are you getting any rain today @Kachina624? I hope so! Weather maps look promising.

@SilleeMee

Albuquerque's getting rain.  And some really impressive thunder and lightning right now.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

Prayers

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee.  We had a brief shower but no gully washer.  It thundered off in the distance all afternoon but never got to my neighborhood.  Its supposed to rain tonight in the fire area.  How about you?

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624

Forecasts show its not going to be a good summer above normal temps for most of the US

What can make our area even worse for allergies....and people with breathing issues (asthma, emphysema etc) is 2 situations:

Smoke from agricultural burning from Mexico and South America....This happens usually in June happening now, but at least the smoke has been very light.......................

And then another phenomenom caused by a strong El Nino weather pattern ---   we get African dust---yep it travels 5,000 strong winds called "easterlies" blow dust from Africa straight toward the Caribbean and then turning north toward Texas, sending a larger than normal number of Sahara Desert dust clouds our way.  This usually happens in July.....

@Spurt.  One of our local meteorologist recently announced that El Nino is over and gone.  Summer is supposed to be sort of neutral with nothing special affecting our weather, then there is a strong possibility that fall will bring a La Niña.  That will mean a cooler, wetter winter for us and milder, not so cold for the Northern tier of states.  Wouldn't that be nice?