Respected Contributor

Re: The Song "I want it and I want it Now" Often Comes to Mind these days!

[ Edited ]

N/M

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While that strategy worked great for the OP and I do think it was right for her and was a great accomplishment, what works for some is not for everyone.  Not everyone wants to complicate their lives by being their own boss.  I am 66 now and just wanted to put in my time at my job, earn a paycheck and go home free from the stresses those who were their own bosses had.  I know because my dad had his own business.  Everyone needs to live their life like they want and make their own mistakes.  I do know many who had their kids young, bought a house, got in debt but managed to get by and are quite happy.  I also know many who had a strategy for life and waited so long it just didn't work out for them.  I sooner would spend my money now because it won't do me any good when I'm gone.  This young man OP is referring to sounds like he is hard working and ambitious.  Even if OP was this man's parent, he needs to live his own life.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I understand what you are saying. But we all need to find our own path

What works for some won't for others. I love my life and wouldn't change it for anyone elses, and other people feel the same way

You are a giving and kind soul. I hope sometime you can find a person who will value your generous gift. You give back ,and I like that a lot

We are the same age, and were raised by parents who suffered through the depression ,and it leaves it's mark

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 i think young people know that they can’t have it all and have given up trying to get it.They have great educations but can’t earn high dollars like past generations..I know many who have decided to live with nothing much.

They buy vans and travel and live in them or they pack into apartments with friends..some are still at home.They don’t seem to dream big anymore.They have huge debts from their education and that just weighs them down.

Respected Contributor

@blueluna wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Yet another complaint about young people.

Just a bunch of Radio GaGa to me....

@Ms tyrion2, I'll just say "high-horse" and hope you get my drift. :-)

lol. And another humble brag. Always the humble brag... :-)

Also an odd topic from a person who's posted about her impulse Q shopping.

I think she needs constant validation to feel good about herself. Every post that is supposedly about another topic ends up being about how wonderful she is. It's me me me. All the time.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

And there are those that order things, don't use them ,do not even know they have those un opened boxes.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 i think young people know that they can’t have it all and have given up trying to get it.They have great educations but can’t earn high dollars like past generations..I know many who have decided to live with nothing much.

They buy vans and travel and live in them or they pack into apartments with friends..some are still at home.They don’t seem to dream big anymore.They have huge debts from their education and that just weighs them down.

agree. My daughter lives on her own. With paying rent and student loans, buying a house or having children isn't even on the radar.

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

I think she needs constant validation to feel good about herself. Every post that is supposedly about another topic ends up being about how wonderful she is. It's me me me. All the time.

There is most certainly a pattern.  Do people not read what they are posting before sending? Geez...

Honored Contributor

I have found people will hear you out when giving advice about finances.  They will never follow the advice.  I have found when someone wants something, young or old,...they will do what they want to get it.  I have found the saying "live and learn" really truthful.  After  going through a financial crisis, or being declined a home, car, credit will snap to it, and try. Some people never learn, ever.

i don't even  want to offer advice in that arena.  If they ask me  for advice on a problem they have gotten into, I will offer what I know from what I have learned.

My daughters got into financial trouble when they were in their 20's.  Credit card companies  gave credit cards by the boatload to underpaid young kids.  We bailed the kids out time after time for a few years.  Then one day I had it, and let them fall.  It was painful to watch.  But until they had to go actually through the pain and struggle of debt, they never would learn.  They did learn thankfully, and it is a lesson they never forgot and have taken with them in life

Honored Contributor

@dex  Yes, well, I think (my opinion) many of them get degrees in things that do them absolutely no good.

Look!  I know quite a few people, who, for one reason or another had to change or quit jobs and are finding it difficult to get a job because they're in their 50's and some are even younger.  They are very well qualified and actually have degrees in what they want the job in.

I can't begin to tell you how many people (young) I've met who have degrees in psychology (but not enough to practice in that field) they just have a four year degree.  Some have degrees in Art something or other; and on and on.

I actually had a conversation with my arthritis Dr about this.  That's the kind of thing we talk about.  Her son graduated from high school and wanted to be a Dr.  She tried like (use whatever word you want) to convince him to not become a Dr.  He pushed forward.  She said that her husband and she would pay for it IF he minored in something like accounting (can't remember what it was).  He finally agreed to that.

I talk to total strangers everywhere I go.  You have no idea the people I meet.  We have maybe a 20 minute conversation.  They tell me 'things'.  Some would amaze you.

OFF TOPIC but demonstrating what I'm talking about pertaining to my conversations.  OK, so in Walmart today I met a young man who came over to me and said he was buying something to give to his girlfriend to 'clear out her insides' because they'd been on a 3 day binge drinking in Las Vegas and she was still drunk and needed to get it out of her 'body' (his words) because tomorrow AT WORK they were going to test her and she needed to not have any alcohol in her body (his words..somewhat).  

This guy put in his arms 4 huge bottles of the same stuff they give you BEFORE you have a colonoscopy only the bottles were 2 times the size you're given.

The Walmart pharmacist came from behind the counter and told him he was making a big mistake and it was dangerous to consume that much of that stuff.  I explained to him about the electrolytes balance, etc.  It totally went over his head.  He wouldn't listen to us.

So, you see, that was one conversation.  I won't bore you with so many of the other conversations I've had out of nowhere with people.  

It's these conversations I've had when I tell you young people aren't taking classes where they will apply what they will need for jobs.

I know it's not that simple.  I see some of it in my own family.  So many family members have degrees.  I have a very large extended family.  I see the differences with the younger one's as far as preparing for their life ahead.  

They want houses and new cars, etc.  They don't want to wait for them, they want them now.  I've also read (maybe some of the same one's you've read and heard) where they've 'given up' thinking they'll never get this or that.

I think my generation and the generation after mine gave them maybe too much because it is normal to want your children to do better than you do (not you but you get the idea).

I'm just as guilty as others.  Some daughters understand money better than other's.  It's difficult to know how much to give them and if I'm doing them a favor or not.

I'm generalizing, I realize that.  If you read about my past life, you'd wonder why I'm not homeless, etc.

It's called making a plan and sticking with it and not blaming others for the choices I've made.  

These days, too often, it's somebody else's fault....