Honored Contributor

Re: The Song "I want it and I want it Now" Often Comes to Mind these days!

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Yet another complaint about young people.

Just a bunch of Radio GaGa to me....

Agreed, and I know plenty of fiscally irresponsible people in their 60's and 70's.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

It is a different world today to grow up in....you can not compare growing up as a young adult years and  years ago  to a young adult growing up today.   You are living in the past.  Today a college education does not guarantee a person anything where years ago it could.  It is a have it now world today....good or bad, it is the way it is. 

Esteemed Contributor

There are plenty of people 50 and above who have that "I want in NOW" mentality.

It's not just a young person mindset.

How many complaints have we seen on these very boards from people pitching about their item not being in their hot little hands two seconds after ordering it?

People have lost all sense of patience.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

The question would be who raises their children to believe that they are entitled to be given what they want without working for it? There are many young adults who have been raised to work and support themselves, and that's what they do. But there are also teens and young adults who are raised to believe that they can't survive without the latest tech inventions and a lifestyle where someone provides what they want for them. Parenting is tough love at times. Children who grow up knowing that they are required to work for a living were raised in the same way. Children who grow up thinking the world owes them a living were raised that way.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

The question would be who raises their children to believe that they are entitled to be given what they want without working for it? There are many young adults who have been raised to work and support themselves, and that's what they do. But there are also teens and young adults who are raised to believe that they can't survive without the latest tech inventions and a lifestyle where someone provides what they want for them. Parenting is tough love at times. Children who grow up knowing that they are required to work for a living were raised in the same way. Children who grow up thinking the world owes them a living were raised that way.

Does the same hold true for adults in their 50's, 60's and 70's on up who have the same mentality of "I want it NOW"?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

WOW I don't know the "young" people you know but most of the generation I know are educated, have great jobs, nice homes & have goals & work hard.  More importantly, they are self-sufficient not dependent on their parents.

I don't know why you feel this way about the "younger" generation & honestly, IMO correlating a TV commercial to them is ridiculous.

I think many of "us" "want it ALL" no matter what age!!!!

Honored Contributor

Yeah, it always tickles me.

Who are the PARENTS of these 20, 30, 40 ‘entitled’ kids?

Entitlement is a learned behavior....taught by, guess who?

Us...of the 50, 60, 70+ generation. 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

There are plenty of people 50 and above who have that "I want in NOW" mentality.

It's not just a young person mindset.

How many complaints have we seen on these very boards from people pitching about their item not being in their hot little hands two seconds after ordering it?

People have lost all sense of patience.

?  Still don't get why you care?  Some pay for expedited shipping, would you be 'happy' if you didn't get what you paid for?  I know I wouldn't.

Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Yet another complaint about young people.

Just a bunch of Radio GaGa to me....

@Ms tyrion2, I'll just say "high-horse" and hope you get my drift. :-)

lol. And another humble brag. Always the humble brag... :-)

Also an odd topic from a person who's posted about her impulse Q shopping.

Respected Contributor

I know lazy people of all ages. Worked with plenty of them! 

Happily, I find my wants pretty much match my budget; living in debt causes me anxiety, so I don’t. But that was a learned lesson. We can give advice all day long to younger people and they usually ignore it like I did when I was a young adult. Eventually the light bulb comes on, but for some they are so far in debt they have mortgaged their future for instant gratification. And we all pay for financial irresponsibility in higher rates and pricing to cover defaulted payments.