Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The Song "I want it and I want it Now" Often Comes to Mind these days!

I hear that song on the TV all of the time when advertising a product.

It seems to me like it fits so many people these days.

At the risk of sounding like an 'old timer' (which I am); I keep thinking that so many I know waited until they could afford something to buy it.

I have said here I waited 7 years to have a baby until I could stay home with it.  We sat and planned and it all turned out.  There were obstacles but we knocked them down one by one.

It just seems like people (by that I mean 20, 30, 40 year olds) want something immediately and go hiney (sp) in debt for it.

Many of you are close to my age (72) or even a little  younger.  I remember we didn't (or couldn't) run up credit card debt.

I never will forget the time I went to the beach with a friend and she whipped out her wallet to pay for something and she must have had 5 or 6 credit cards (at least).  I thought a person could only have one or two credit cards.  I was so stupid, I guess.

I offered to pay for the kid next door to go to the local community college for 2 years.  I told him from the time he was in 10th grade if he stayed in school, when he started college, I'd pay for his classes and his books.

The only requirements were that he maintain at least a C average and stay in school.  He would not have to pay me back ever.

Well, he graduated (first in his family to graduate from high school).  He's been going to Community College now for 1 1/2 years at night.  He only takes maybe 2 classes and works full time as a laborer.

But when he started he told me he opened a credit card and put all of his first classes (which were 3 back then) and books on the credit card.  He said he "wanted to establish credit".  He lives at home with his parents.

He took the summer off which I didn't think he should, but I'm not his mother.  He started back up in the Fall and took out student loans this time.

I tried to tell him he'll eventually have to pay back all of that money.   

I don't think he realizes that once his girlfriend (since 10th grade) talks him into marrying her, he'll have a lot of bills to pay.  She's been working on him since before they graduated to get married.  She quite college after a few days.  She has very little ambition.

It's so frustrating to see someone make such a mistake when his life could be easier.

I've sat and talked to him about business and all that my late husband and I accomplished (mainly my husband with me by his side).  I've tried to instill in him to save his money.

I've talked to him about how wonderful it is to travel (he's never left the area).  So many things.  

He's a really good son and a good kid.  He's honest and a hard worker. 

I've always said, "Would you rather be the boss....or would you rather be 'the worker bee"?

His older brother, brother's girlfriend and baby live in parent's basement.  I keep telling him I want more for him.

But I know it's not about what I want, it's what he wants.

I'm sure some of you know people (not just 20 somethings) who can't seem to wait for anything.

They want what they want and they aren't willing to wait for it.  That's not to say they aren't working, they just earn 'it' and spend 'it' immediately.

Two of my daughters are still what I call 'a work in progress'.  They are somwhere inbetween the 'I want it now'.

But they are very lucky because my late husband was very successful and they have plenty to fall back on.

My late husband and I didn't.  We only had each other.

Do any of you see and know of people you feel like you'd like to shake some sense into (like my Grandma would say)?

Honored Contributor

Re: The Song "I want it and I want it Now" Often Comes to Mind these days!

I don’t read much into the song.

It’s an old Queen song (1989).

Catchy.

9FAB4D58-A399-46DC-AC48-5BD3A6739315.jpeg

Honored Contributor

My only financial advice is have your savings taken out of your check before you even see it. When I started working we weren’t covered by a pension immediately , so my mom browbeat me into opening an IRA. I didn’t want to, but after awhile I just forgot about that money. I did the same thing when we got a credit union, and when I started making real money, I kept increasing my deduction. I know the whole retirement landscape is different now with 401 K’s and all , but the principle is the same. You don’t miss what you don’tsee.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Actually it reminds me of some of the posts here complaining about QVC shipping. LOL.
Honored Contributor

Even though the song is 30 years old, it's even more relevant now. So many people want instant gratification.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Everyone lives their own life, learn from their own mistakes and hopefully find some happiness along the way.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Yet another complaint about young people.

Just a bunch of Radio GaGa to me....

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Yet another complaint about young people.

Just a bunch of Radio GaGa to me....

@Ms tyrion2, I'll just say "high-horse" and hope you get my drift. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

Even though the song is 30 years old, it's even more relevant now. So many people want instant gratification.

However, the point is, it was written thirty years ago, so what does it say about THAT generation?

My grandmother never said she wanted to shake some sense into me.  It doesn't work that way.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For what it’s worth, Brian May, of Queen, claims the song

is about having ambitions and fighting for one's own goals.

With that in mind, most successful people will agree....

and not settle for moderation or mediocre.

They truly do want it all to attain that goal.

(Back to Regularly Scheduled Programming)