Honored Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Pqfan said:

I am so thankful we didn't get the amount of snow they predicted! They made the right decision to over prepare because in years past people have been stuck for hours in cars and trains. Potentially very dangerous situations are avoided by just shutting it down.

So very true. I was on one of the last planes out of Atlanta this week last year. The snow had just started to fall when we took off for Vegas. By the time I watched the evening news there, Atlanta was in the midst of that horrid ice storm that trapped thousands for many dangerous hours.

If my plane from West Palm to Atlanta been about 30 minutes later, we would not have taken off and I would have been stuck overnight or longer in the airport.

Super Contributor

Riddle me this....if they hadn't tried to prepare people for all possible outcomes and all chaos broke loose with a mega storm, what would be the reaction toward them then??? These forecasters do not have control over shifts in cold fronts, but they sure can't win, no matter what they do. And should the media have just ignored warnings by the weather people?

Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 RainCityGirl said:

Riddle me this....if they hadn't tried to prepare people for all possible outcomes and all chaos broke loose with a mega storm, what would be the reaction toward them then??? These forecasters do not have control over shifts in cold fronts, but they sure can't win, no matter what they do. And should the media have just ignored warnings by the weather people?

Let's see how those who are in hurricane or tornado areas react if their weather people don't warn them appropriately. Or horrid rains with flooding predicted and the alerts aren't strong enough to suit them. I wish that those of us in earthquake territory would have advance warning. Instead we have to basically be prepared 24/7.

A prediction is what it is. Mother Nature will always have the last say and she is never predictable.

Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Ms X said:

These stupid bums made a mountain out of a molehill again.

Wow, "stupid bums"---that is ridiculously harsh.....!

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Super Contributor
On 1/27/2015 kdgn said:

Let's see how those who are in hurricane or tornado areas react if their weather people don't warn them appropriately. Or horrid rains with flooding predicted and the alerts aren't strong enough to suit them. I wish that those of us in earthquake territory would have advance warning. Instead we have to basically be prepared 24/7.

A prediction is what it is. Mother Nature will always have the last say and she is never predictable.

I appreciate the warnings. Back when we first moved in this house, we only had CBS, NBC, ABC & PBS . . . when tornado likely weather was in the making . . . they'd go into full weather programming and interrupt shows from the time they were close to our state's western border until the last cloud passed over our eastern border . . . and while it was a LONG time . . . it was important for everyone to know . . . even IF it wasn't affecting me at the moment . . . now they don't go what they call "wall-to-wall" coverage for so long . . .and pin point it better . .. but we also have more channels.

While we don't have advance warning per say for tornadoes . . . we know when conditions are more "likely" but that doesn't help a whole lot when one hits.

Super Contributor

I don't think most people were/are ridiculing the weather forecaster or the residents of the affected areas as much as they are disgusted with the MEDIA for the constant ratcheting up of the panic and hyperbole.

Most people recognize it for what it is: blatant ratings grabs. Yes, the media can pass along the information from the forecasters; yes, the media can pass along briefings and announcements from the state and local governmental agencies about business and school closings; yes, the media can show news conferences from the elected officials from the state, airport closings, roads closed. But they need to rein in their overblown descriptions, the breathless, wide-eyed, "OMG" reporting, the silly names they just love to assign to these "weather events" like "sno-pocalyps," sno-zilla," etc.

The constant, non-stop nationwide 24/7 hyper-coverage of every snowflake falling and excruciating examination of how far up the reporter's leg the snow has crept within minutes of the last reporting results in their well-deserved public embarrassment and ridicule. I'm referring, of course, to their laser-focused attention on NYC while they seemed, in comparison, to somewhat ignore the other coastal areas that were really going to get hit. Of course, NYC is the hub of the financial district, tourism, major airports, etc. But they knew yesterday late afternoon/early evening that the new model showed relatively little impact in NYC.

If people are having a little fun at their expense, they deserve it.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Respected Contributor

Well were we live it was a big blizzard, 3+ feet of snow. Much damage to homes along the coast because of flooding ocean water. Massive power outages. It was not a snooze fest at all. You're lucky if you weren't affected too much.

Honored Contributor
Is it a bad thing that the NY area was spared the brunt of the storm.....what?......people wanted the the 3ft of snow we got in MA....really?
Respected Contributor
On 1/28/2015 chrystaltree said: Is it a bad thing that the NY area was spared the brunt of the storm.....what?......people wanted the the 3ft of snow we got in MA....really?

H3LL No! I was a happy girl yesterday when I woke up. We got about 16 inches...our power stayed on.....and DS was home to shovel!! I shoveled a path from the street to the front dorr, for my GF across the street. She had to stay O/N at work and let me park in her driveway. Her son came and did the rest. Thank goodness it was a light and fluffy snow.

Now they are saying we have another storm coming. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

While we didn't get the feet they predicted..we got over 12"" and heavy blowing..

They did close half of state and all major transportation in/out of a major City..all based on a storm that had not even formed yet off the coast.. That is my only issue lol..

I would rather be overprepared then under..look at Katrina..

Darned if they do..darned if they don't..

The meterologists did talk about different weather models..and I think the govt' went with the National Weather Service..although a few of the weathermen in the capital did state it could be significantly less depending on the track..The one guy said ""kudos to the model that was correct...lets move on.."" LOL