Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Tyak said:

Wow, I'm so relieved to see that NYC survived "the worst snowstorm since 1872" as I heard it put from deblasio. Again, the media has turned a winter snowstorm, imagine that, into the sky is falling scenario and gotten millions in a panic. My dh and I laughed out loud last night when Shepard Smith hosted a one hour special Weather Alert program. Too funny.

says the person who lives in the desert. You're from NV, right?

The implications of a severe winter storm don't affect you, so you and your DH "laugh out loud". SMH

~Enough is enough~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Drudge has two links about this killer storm that fizzled. One headline says the weather forecasters are going to reexamine their computer models.

Honored Contributor

Thee weather people get all excited when a storm is coming, especially when the weather has been relatively boring for a while.

The storm path changed, which isn't their fault, but they unfortunately end up looking a bit foolish for being so over-excited about it..

Super Contributor

Unfortunately Tyak there are more idiots around than you think and they are the ones who desperately need overwarnings or else they go about la dee da and jeopardize not only their own safety but the safety of others.

Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Melania2 said:
On 1/27/2015 dooBdoo said:
On 1/27/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 1/27/2015 Justina rae said:

How stupid that anyone would ridicule the weather forecasters or public officials for taking the action they did with this storm. Our system is only as good as it is and Mother Nature can be unpredicatable. It's not an exact science. I for one am grateful that it didn't turn out to be as bad where I live. There are still areas that got hit pretty hard. I am also grateful that in taking the action they did there have been no tragedies with people being stranded in dangerous situations or loss of life. Officials are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. People need to grow up.

ITA.

I agree, too. I'll post what I wrote on the other thread.

It's always better to be over-prepared for these things rather than under-prepared, in my opinion. I think it's a blessing when the "big storm" turns into a smaller, more manageable one.

Unfortunately, we don't fund our agencies like NOAA very well, yet they certainly are the target of pretty harsh criticism. It seems we want "small government" until we look to the agencies for guidance or assistance, then we want them to be perfect and robust. I have read there's a newer, more accurate computer forecasting model that's being used in Europe and a similar one is being tested in the USA now.

Well said!!!

Imagine if they didn't do what they did and people were hurt. I'm so glad they made that call.

I get so sick of the holier than thou here who find fault with everything. It must be so nice to be so perfect.

Well said, Melania. Well said!Smile

Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Matty6 said:

There use of the word ""historic"" was ridiculous to me. What ever happened to severe or just plain a lot of snow. Of course they the news people and weather forecasters are going to make a mountain out of a molehill. They always do. I take it with a grain of salt. In there case a grain of snow.

So does that mean you'd like to help me shovel out 15 plus inches of snow that's still coming down making travel impossible?

No mountain out of a molehill where I live.

Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 1/27/2015 Matty6 said:

There use of the word ""historic"" was ridiculous to me. What ever happened to severe or just plain a lot of snow. Of course they the news people and weather forecasters are going to make a mountain out of a molehill. They always do. I take it with a grain of salt. In there case a grain of snow.

So does that mean you'd like to help me shovel out 15 plus inches of snow that's still coming down making travel impossible?

No mountain out of a molehill where I live.

I'm old but I looked at the calendar and it's January...winter=cold and snow.

Honored Contributor

This is not a 'Snoreeaster'! Our area of LI got about 18" but eastern end of LI got much higher.

The travel ban was a smart idea because people being out on the roads and then being rescued by emergency responders would be a waste of manpower and $$ spent.

Less cars on the roads, easier to keep the roads cleared of snow by the plows and salters.

Those who are complaining because they couldn't be on the roads and that the snow amounts weren't what the weather forecasters said we were going to have should just be quiet! Its the old darned if you do, darned if you don't.

If there was no travel ban, then people would have been complaining about all the abandoned cars on the roadways. You just can't win with the naysayers.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Justina rae said:

Unfortunately Tyak there are more idiots around than you think and they are the ones who desperately need overwarnings or else they go about la dee da and jeopardize not only their own safety but the safety of others.

Oh, I have an idea how many there are out there but I think what also enters into it is that many people today need to feel taken care of. And to be told how to dress, when to stay in and when it's OK to go out does that for them.

Honored Contributor

THIRTEEN people died in Western NY back in November due to the last big storm in the state...a number froze to death in their cars.

The guv was being prudent and I don't blame him!