Esteemed Contributor

News reporter comment after a New York State press briefing. I think it's pretty clever.

Super Contributor

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Honored Contributor

I'm always thankful when storms turn out to be less than expected, even though I think forecasting should be more accurate.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Fine by me!!!!

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Valued Contributor

Reporters are more interested in the focus being on how clever they are than what is really happening. This one definitely has no ambitions for moving beyond his local little paper or channel. Eastern Mass is being hit right now. No, it's not "snowmaggeddon" but that was also reporters being more interested in appearing clever. However, with almost 18" of snow right now, a visibility of about 20 yards, and about 14 more hours of this to go, those of us in its path don't find it a "snore." I live in New England because I love this kind of stuff but I'd have no problem with that poor, bored reporter coming and snow raking off my roof when it's all over. Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not mocking at all the severity of the situation for certain locales. But the local politicians and meteorologists are starting to get backlash for a perceived over-reaction. Personally, I think it is wise to always over anticipate, than be unprepared. (Although I do think shutting down all subway lines was a tad unnecessary).

Super Contributor
On 1/27/2015 guatmum said:

Reporters are more interested in the focus being on how clever they are than what is really happening. This one definitely has no ambitions for moving beyond his local little paper or channel. Eastern Mass is being hit right now. No, it's not "snowmaggeddon" but that was also reporters being more interested in appearing clever. However, with almost 18" of snow right now, a visibility of about 20 yards, and about 14 more hours of this to go, those of us in its path don't find it a "snore." I live in New England because I love this kind of stuff but I'd have no problem with that poor, bored reporter coming and snow raking off my roof when it's all over. Wink

I think he was referring only to NYC...not where you live.

Respected Contributor

These stupid bums made a mountain out of a molehill again. While the wind was ferocious last night, I woke up and saw that not even the TIRES of the cars are covered with snow. It's not done yet, but this snow wouldn't go into the history books unless it struck Hawaii.

Super Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Johnnyeager said:

I'm not mocking at all the severity of the situation for certain locales. But the local politicians and meteorologists are starting to get backlash for a perceived over-reaction. Personally, I think it is wise to always over anticipate, than be unprepared. (Although I do think shutting down all subway lines was a tad unnecessary).

I think they just wanted people off the roads so the crews could keep them cleared. But yeah, a lot of New Yorkers are pretty steamed...if one reads the comments on other sites. If nothing else, a lot of them have a lot of gallons of milk they have to drink!

Unfortunately, there existed a third weather model that was much more accurate and realistic, but wasn't brought up until after the travel bans were in place.

Next time, it's going to be much more difficult, if not impossible, to get New Yorkers to listen to "dire" weather warnings.

Super Contributor

How stupid that anyone would ridicule the weather forecasters or public officials for taking the action they did with this storm. Our system is only as good as it is and Mother Nature can be unpredicatable. It's not an exact science. I for one am grateful that it didn't turn out to be as bad where I live. There are still areas that got hit pretty hard. I am also grateful that in taking the action they did there have been no tragedies with people being stranded in dangerous situations or loss of life. Officials are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. People need to grow up.