Respected Contributor

Re: The Sisterhood: Becoming Nuns Premieres November 25 on Lifetime Channel

Honored Contributor

Hi minky,

My dinner is almost ready, but I wanted to come back here and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

On 11/26/2014 dmod nj said:

Hi minky,

My dinner is almost ready, but I wanted to come back here and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Well, thank you so much. The same good wishes to you and yours.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Enjoy your dinner, I just talked to my husband on the phone and we decided on stuffed peppers for dinner. No meat, just the seasoned rice mixture topped with panko bread crumbs and cheese melted under the broiler. And salad. Looking forward to it. Especially the crunchy cheese {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Big day around the farm, due to my husband's surgery, we have replaced the big double wooden barn doors with overhead automatic garage type doors and I will get to see them in action when he takes me home after work. ! Woo Hoo, the excitement never stops around here.

Honored Contributor

WOW. have not seen this.

wonderful to see, know the church is asking "youngin's" to really think of religious field. Our church says a prayer before service weekly to think of this life as a possible way of life.

will have to watch.

Respected Contributor

On 11/26/2014 happy housewife said:

I googled and found that the incidence of allegations of abuse by Catholic priests were 4392 cases worldwide and against non catholic clergy were 147. An extremely significant difference. Now I will say , not all allegations are always true - but those were the stats when I googled Sexual abuse by non catholic clergy. The source was the NT Times.

but you aren't reading the full articles 147 is from http://www.reformation.com/ a site put up by a catholic to report abuse by non catholic clergy and refers to 147 baptist ministers and does list other denominationsand this site started in 1997 and was last updated in 2003

4392 comes from http://ethicsdaily.com/insurance-companies-shed-light-on-extent-of-sx-abuse-in-protestant-churches-c...

10,667 people who reported plausible claims of childhood sxual abuse by 4,392 priests or deacons between 1950 and 2002 in a study commissioned by the Catholic Church with the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York as part of its response to its clergy abuse scandal. That represents 4 percent of the approximately 110,000 diocesan and religious priests who served in the United States in those years.

and this article also reports

The Associated Press reported recently that three insurance companies receive upward of 260 reports each year of young people under 18 being sxually abused by Protestant clergy, challenging the assumption that clergy sxual abuse is an exclusively Catholic problem that does not take place in other churches.

That is a higher number than the annual average of 228 "credible accusations" brought against Catholic clerics in records reported by the Catholic Church in response to media scrutiny, a priest observed in a Fox News commentary questioning why the story isn't garnering more attention.

The AP obtained figures on sx-abuse claims from three companies that insure the majority of Protestant churches in America--Church Mutual Insurance Company, GuideOne Insurance and Brotherhood Mutual Insurance Company.

The largest company, Church Mutual, reported an average of about 100 sx-abuse cases a year involving minors over the last decade. GuideOne, with about half the clients of Church Mutual, said it has received an average of 160 reports of sx abuse against minors every year for the past two decades. Brotherhood Mutual said it received an average of 73 reports of child sx abuse and other sexual misconduct every year for the last 15 years but did not specify how many victims are younger than 18.

Ok since one insurance company only is reporting for 10 years

73 cases a year =730 cases for 10 year ( did not specify how many victims under 18)

100 cases a year =1000 cases for 10 years

160 cases a year =1600 cases for 10 years

If you only take the 2 insurance companies for 2600 cases for 10 years that is comparable to 4392 Catholic priests over 50 years And also the Catholic church has more centralized reporting than other churches.

Respected Contributor

Oh because non Catholic Christians who may have abused kids are all just dying to confess there sins. That goes for other religions as well. But by all means bash the Catholic Church. Typical.
Valued Contributor

We enjoyed the first show. It was interesting to hear the nuns talking about their experiences and memories .....maybe more interesting than watching the girls.

Respected Contributor

I was able to watch the first episode on the lifetime roku channel so I hope Lifetime unlocks more episodes. I read that its from the people that did Breaking Amish which I haven't seen. I don't think any of the girls will become nuns because if you listen they give clues.

Whenever they had to remove their makeup one of the girls said If we were doing this for real then we would have to do this all the time.

I hope those nuns make a big bunch of money from this show because they deserve it .

Now going off on a different tangent I never knew there was The Godfather of Pittsburgh. Maybe Abby from dance Moms will be on this show. If you're from Pittsburgh watch this show. sorry I didn't mention this show is on A&E I thought I was still on the lifetime channel sorry

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the discussion. After the first show I'm a little confused the girls didn't seem to know a lot about what would be expected of them but this is new to me. We'll continue to watch and see what happens though.Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

I was interested in the comments here, and I'm always skeptical about "reality shows," so I've been reading some articles to see what's being said. Here are just two:

‘The Sisterhood’ Reviews: Nuns React To Lifetime Reality Show’s Debut

11/26/14: "Women from Catholic religious orders watched Lifetime’s new reality TV series “The Sisterhood: Becoming Nuns” intently Tuesday night. Some held premiere parties while others blogged and tweeted their reactions to the new show that follows five young women contemplating whether the monastic life is right for them.

For the most part, the show’s first episode was met with positive reviews, although some nuns were hesitant about how the show will unfold. . ." [article at link]

and

‘The Sisterhood’ Premiere: Cast Member Christie Young Opens Up On Casting Process

11/25/14: ". . .Young had been discerning on her own for a year when she got wind of the reality series from a co-worker. At first she was hesitant to share this private decision process with the world, but she said "a nudge" from God convinced her this was the right step to take. . ." [article at link]

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova