Valued Contributor

I join the majority here so far, Lao Tzu.

I am going to make an effort to practice his words to live in the present as they seemed to make a whole lot of sense.

Esteemed Contributor

Socrates and Jon Stuart Mill are actually saying the same thing.  So both apply for me.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Nietzsche was more than a philosopher.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/nietzsch/

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@lolakimono  Why are they all MEN?

How many times have you heard, “Oh, yeah, well what have women contributed?” Considering that women were denied equal access to education (if any at all) for most of history, while being tied down with house chores and children, it’s amazing how substantial our contributions were in spite of this. 

Below is a list of some of the women philosophers that existed throughout history, including a long list at the end of current women philosophers (note how many are also feminists). The publications and accomplishments of these women are truly too many to list. Their contributions are extensive. 

May this be a handy dandy reference for that moment when asked that insulting question above. Slap the list on his desk and then he will possibly ask, “Yeah, well why haven’t I heard of any of them?”

Yes, exactly, why haven’t you?

Keep in mind: These are only the philosophers. This doesn’t account for the artists, scientists, inventors, writers, poets, activists, spiritual leaders, etc.

Also keep in mind: These are only the ones who were allowed space to think and write, who weren’t deleted through the rewriting of history, who weren't plagiarized by men, and who weren’t shamed into silence. These are the ones who weren’t burned as witches and never given a chance to speak, who weren’t beaten and tortured and forced to clean up after men and bear his children. 

Imagine what this list would look like if women hadn’t been persecuted throughout history.

*Call Tyrone*
Valued Contributor

I think the secret of happiness is be satisfied with your life and what you have,and not always wanting something else!

Valued Contributor

Although I love Thoreau and studied Nietzsche (and still fail to understand him) none of them truly resonate with me..

For me, happiness is simply two things; forgiveness, (for ourselves and others) and gratitude.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for posting, Tzu and Confucius's also speak to me,I am going to type on a nice sheet of colored paper and place it in my cubical at work.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

There's only one secret to happiness and that's being cancer free. You have your health, you have everythung. 

@Blingqueen023

I have lost a beloved mother and a sister to lung cancer/colon cancer.  And yet I still believe there are illnesses that are even with or perhaps even worse than cancer.  There are many other ways to be unhealthy and even terminal.

I don't have my health, and my daughter does not have her health, and neither of us has cancer.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Henry David Thoreau rang a bell.  Although each and every quote could be very beneficial to most/many of us.  I'm going to print it.  Thank you, Lola!  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Now-a-days, One of mine:  'Rise your heads, stop rushing around, and enjoy your surroundings with loving patience'. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).