Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Secret History of the Credit Card (full documentary) | FRONTLINE

Enjoy it a little at a time.  It might be hard to believe what is allowed @CoffeeNut 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I love my cash-back credit cards. Use them a a lot, pay them off each month and earn a little bit of money along the way. No worries about having to carry cash around when I shop and most places take a cc anyway these days.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I love my cash-back credit cards. Use them a a lot, pay them off each month and earn a little bit of money along the way. No worries about having to carry cash around when I shop and most places take a cc anyway these days.

This has nothing to do with that @SilleeMee .  Nothing to do with how you use your card, why you use your card.  This is giving a perspective by the Fed (Federal Reserve Bank) and the things the OCC doesn't do to protect consumers.

For goodness sakes.....

Honored Contributor

Watching a docu isn't going to change the way I shop and use my cc. 

Honored Contributor

This video should be mandatory in high school classes across the nation. When you know better, you do better.

My husband and I were just discussing how low our interest rate on savings are. Yet credit cards are gouging young families starting out or anyone that has to resort to credit cards in order to stay afloat. I still do not understand how no politicians are addressing the high rates charged on credit cards. 😳

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

This video should be mandatory in high school classes across the nation. When you know better, you do better.

My husband and I were just discussing how low our interest rate on savings are. Yet credit cards are gouging young families starting out or anyone that has to resort to credit cards in order to stay afloat. I still do not understand how no politicians are addressing the high rates charged on credit cards. 😳

Thank you @Trinity11 .  Also look how sneaky that got around using usury rates.  No one is doing anything about it.  Also, if you have too much credit, they can cancel your card and more.  It really is an eye opener.  It's not political either.  It's just what the country allows the banking industry to get away with!

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I believe the politicians have their hands in the pots of cc companies and those who have hands in pots usually benefit from not stirring it.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Thank you @Trinity11 .  Also look how sneaky that got around using usury rates.  No one is doing anything about it.  Also, if you have too much credit, they can cancel your card and more.  It really is an eye opener.  It's not political either.  It's just what the country allows the banking industry to get away with!

Yes @gertrudecloset and this video is from 2004! All these years have gone by and I saw that some banks are even charging 31% interest rates. 😳

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I believe the politicians have their hands in the pots of cc companies and those who have hands in pots usually benefit from not stirring it.

Well said @SilleeMee . I have highly suspected the same.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Yes @gertrudecloset and this video is from 2004! All these years have gone by and I saw that some banks are even charging 31% interest rates. 😳

Indeed @Trinity11 This is after you agreed to the terms of the credit card (contract) when you signed up for the card.  Anytime in between and whenever they want, they can raise your rates astronomically.  They can do this based on other credit factors that have nothing to do with them....even for the dumbest things.