Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Scott Peterson Appeal

@mousiegirl wrote:

There should be a law that forbids anyone to remove prisoners from death row unless their cases are overturned.  What is the point of trials at all if the sentences are not going to be enforced, the same with a judge overturning a conviction that a jury has decided.

As long as Peterson goes back to death row, which would be before his execution year, maybe he will suffer more, which he deserves.  Even if he died of old age in prison on death row, that would work for me, as long as he stays on death row.

@mousiegirl- He remains on Death Row.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl 

Peterson IS on death row. He will forever be unless he wins, thru an appeal, a new trial with a lesser verdict. I know with a DP sentence he is automatically entitled to an appeal, whether a new trial is granted or not is yet to be seen.

What changed is that the Ca. gov put a moritorium on the actual execution itself. 

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Cakers  very well said. The man has appeal rights.

If I recall, the evidence against him was mostly circumstantial. Her remains washed up near his favorite boat launch. 

He may be a shady liar with a woman on the side but come on....Ms. Frey believed his tales of being in Paris as a fertilizer salesman? You meet a man and he never invites you to his place? HUGE red flags.

And yet, she continued on.

@Snowpuppy   The majority of cases are circumstantial, not very often are there witnesses, and at least there were bodies this time, though cases have been tried and won withiout bodies.

@mousiegirl, I'm wondering, though, how many death row prisoners' cases were circumstantial. I would think that you'd have to reach the highest bar for such a purnishment.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

This is why the gov placed a moratorium on DR inmates

https://www.newsweek.com/one-25-executed-us-innocent-study-claims-248889

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

There should be a law that forbids anyone to remove prisoners from death row unless their cases are overturned.  What is the point of trials at all if the sentences are not going to be enforced, the same with a judge overturning a conviction that a jury has decided.

As long as Peterson goes back to death row, which would be before his execution year, maybe he will suffer more, which he deserves.  Even if he died of old age in prison on death row, that would work for me, as long as he stays on death row.

@mousiegirl- He remains on Death Row.

@qbetzforreal   Good, so I guess it is just a halt in executions, and his date isn't within the eight year period, so nothing changes for him at this point.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Cakers  very well said. The man has appeal rights.

If I recall, the evidence against him was mostly circumstantial. Her remains washed up near his favorite boat launch. 

He may be a shady liar with a woman on the side but come on....Ms. Frey believed his tales of being in Paris as a fertilizer salesman? You meet a man and he never invites you to his place? HUGE red flags.

And yet, she continued on.

@Snowpuppy   The majority of cases are circumstantial, not very often are there witnesses, and at least there were bodies this time, though cases have been tried and won withiout bodies.

@mousiegirl, I'm wondering, though, how many death row prisoners' cases were circumstantial. I would think that you'd have to reach the highest bar for such a purnishment.

@suzyQ3   I think in this case it was reached, but I understand that there can be errrors made, one can look guilty without being so, but I don't think there are that many people sentenced to death, even when there are confessions and evidence that cannot be denied, and/or witnesses, still they escape that sentence

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl, without detailing my overall opinion on capital punishment, I will just say that if one innocent person is executed, it's one too many.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mousiegirl, without detailing my overall opinion on capital punishment, I will just say that if one innocent person is executed, it's one too many.

@suzyQ3   This is the reason for appeals, more than another chance to revisit the case and any new evidence, if there is any.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter.  Even if by some miracle he gets a new trial, he'll still be found guilty.  I don't fault his family and friends for their actions.  They love him, they can't bring themselves to believe that someone they love could do something so horrendous.  Their minds just won't go there.  The ones who believe he did it, think that he had a momentary breakdown and he would never do something like that again, that's he's a decent person yada yada yada.  Just as funerals are for the living.  Campaigns like this are for the convict's loved ones.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It doesn't matter.  Even if by some miracle he gets a new trial, he'll still be found guilty.  I don't fault his family and friends for their actions.  They love him, they can't bring themselves to believe that someone they love could do something so horrendous.  Their minds just won't go there.  The ones who believe he did it, think that he had a momentary breakdown and he would never do something like that again, that's he's a decent person yada yada yada.  Just as funerals are for the living.  Campaigns like this are for the convict's loved ones.  

I'm not convinced the prosecution could prove a murder charge again, a jury also may not be entirely convinced that there was prior plotting before the deaths either.