Respected Contributor

Re: The Saga Continues...Neighbor Issues, Episode 106

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

I feel the OP is really creating a problem within herself. It sounds as if anything this household does is not to her liking. She seems to know everything going on over there! Yes, noisy neighbors are the pits but there is more to life than you letting every single thing they do bother you. Life is short, be happy. 

I agree. I think your neighbors know they are annoying you and don't care. I'd move if I were you. It seems that your mental health/overall health is being affected. Not worth it. Kids playing and dogs barking are not crimes. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

My personal experience (with so many apartment neighbors) -- being nice, trying to reason, trying to appease & cajole these kind of people rarely works.  These people showed you who they are with their actions. They don't care about anyone else.
You have to let the authorities take care of this.

Document everything-- in writing and on your cell (or whatever video device you have). Every incident, every correspondence with them. Try to text/email the neighbors, rather than call, when you have a problem--- that way, you have a record. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928, in my opinion, you should be able to enjoy your home. I don't like to cause a stink either, but if your neighbors were being neighborly, you wouldn't have to.

I would call the police and I wouldn't worry about it. 

You have tried to be kind to this woman. Being kind is wonderful, but it doesn't always work, unfortunately. Some people think what they want is way more important than the rest of us.

My neighbors started burning their trash, nearly daily. At least 5 people live there, 4 of whom are grown, and they create a lot of trash. I had no idea trash could smell so bad, it literally made us sick. My husband called someone with the Environment and Air Quality who came out and informed these people that they would be fined 10,000 if they did it again. They still burn at night.

They don't like us, I don't care. I have to walk my dogs and should be able to without getting physically ill.

Honored Contributor

Who can afford to "JUST MOVE"?  Six percent reality fees, moving costs, etc.  Good grief.I sure couldn't "just move."  Call the police and get the dog shut up.  Surely there are laws where you live.

Regular Contributor

That's a tough situation, been there and done that and it seemed no matter how nice I was to my neighbors in town about their non stop barking dog at night (which they never seemed to hear), or ask them to please not park so that they blocked our garage doors/driveway, or can you not mow so that you throw your clippins on our sidewalk and drive, or can your children please play in your yard and not use ours as their yard,, could you please not "borrow" our patio set and furniture when we aren't home to accommodate your functions, etc. but like another poster said they would just take offense and ramp it up.  

We put up a privacy fence which stopped some of the problems but we eventually ended up moving to a subdivision outside of town but we have 2.5-4 acre lots.  I can't imagine now living in town on top of one another like we did.  It is sooooo peaceful! 

I also want to add that at the time we also had 2 small children of our own and only in our late 20's so it wasn't like we were/are old and crabby, lol.  We always tried to respect our neighbors and wanted the same in return but there always seems to be that one or two in the bunch that just don't get it.

Respected Contributor

OP..you need to call the police. And keep calling until it stops. Put on your big girl shoes and do it. Quit worrying about other people who are obviously do not care about neighbors. I would also invest in a privacy fence between your properties..it will help cut down on the noise.

our police department is very responsive to noise nuisance reports especially if it i involves animals. 

Good luck. You have gone above and beyond with this.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner, I agree.  Yeah.  Just move.  Great advice.  LOL  Just put your house on the market, go house hunting, pack up absolutely everything and move.  Geez.

I have a dog, usually more than one, I live in a neighborhood with dogs and there is a difference between a dog barking occassionally and a dog that barks nonstop.  Huge difference.  A dog barking nonstop is a nuisance and should not be allowed to continue.  Something needs to be done about that.

Kids playing is a whole different ball of wax and unless they are outside after curfew or in your yard, there really isn't much you can do about that. 

We have new neighbors behind us and they have 2 dogs.  One of the dogs is a puppy.  One night I came home and opened all my windows.  I put my dog out.  I heard the most awful whining/barking/growling sounds coming from a house behind us.  I went outside thinking something was happening.  It was even upsetting my own dog outside.  I realized it was the puppy behind us. After speaking with another neighbor,  I came to find out they crate the puppy when they aren't home and she does this the entire time they are gone.  I approached them the next day because they had no idea this went on.  I told them I wasn't telling them because it upset me, because it didn't, but because I knew someone else was going to get mad about it and call the police. 

The OP has said a number of times that she called the non emergency number and was told to call 911.        

Honored Contributor

I don't know if this has been mentioned: Regarding barking dogs:  Sometimes your local humane society will come out and be a liason between a complainer and the pet owner.  They 'smooth things over', and ask the pet owner to please put the dogs in the garage during evening hours, etc.   They hint that, after a couple/few complaints, that other measures will be taken.  Fees, citations, etc.   I'd give your local humane society/animal shelter a phone call.  Ask for suggestions, etc. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pegsue wrote:

That's a tough situation, been there and done that and it seemed no matter how nice I was to my neighbors in town about their non stop barking dog at night (which they never seemed to hear), or ask them to please not park so that they blocked our garage doors/driveway, or can you not mow so that you throw your clippins on our sidewalk and drive, or can your children please play in your yard and not use ours as their yard,, could you please not "borrow" our patio set and furniture when we aren't home to accommodate your functions, etc. but like another poster said they would just take offense and ramp it up.  

Sheesh what a bunch of pigs!  The borrowing furniture was way out of line.  I mean who has the ****s to think that is OK to do?

Has anyone watched the show on ID called Fear They Neighbor?  It shows how minor neighbor issues can turn major and even deadly, many are started by dog issues.  

I am the master of using fans, sound machines, etc to cover noises but dog barking is a tough one because of the type of noise it is.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I don't know if this has been mentioned: Regarding barking dogs:  Sometimes your local humane society will come out and be a liason between a complainer and the pet owner.  They 'smooth things over', and ask the pet owner to please put the dogs in the garage during evening hours, etc.   They hint that, after a couple/few complaints, that other measures will be taken.  Fees, citations, etc.   I'd give your local humane society/animal shelter a phone call.  Ask for suggestions, etc. 

Omg you would never want to do that during warm weather (even 70 outside is much too b/c the garage gets even hotter!) and doubt they'd ever recommend that unless they want a serious lawsuit on their hands and potential death of a dog! Unless a garage is air conditioned and most people don't have that in their garage.