Honored Contributor

Re: The Saga Continues...Neighbor Issues, Episode 106

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Perhaps you should find a quieter neighborhood - dog free, child free, or just knock on her door and ask to have a heart-to-heart talk with her. 

@hoosieroriginal  I think @Julie928 is long past the point where nice little talks might be helpful.  Yes, I'd call the police about the dogs, and since barking dogs generally stop about the time cops arrive, tape record the entire barking period everytime it happens.  Get the dates and time it starts.  You need evidence. 

I'm afraid you'll just have to put up with the kids.  Pray these people move before the kids become teens and blast hard rock music outside your windows day and night.  You'll wish for the "good old days". 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Do you have an HOA?

Perhaps you can talk to them about the rules regarding noise in the evenings.

If not, then you definitely need to contact your town or city.

I know it's tough, but you have three choices:

1.  Put up with it.

2.  Move.

3.  Call the town or city and have them talk to these people and hopefully they will change their behavior.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I'm just remembering when I was a kid growing up in the 1970s and 1980s.

We always lived in those typical middle class suburban neighborhoods.

Houses on the smaller side, normal sized backyards.

Kids out every day riding their bikes, playing.

But by nightfall, we were all in.

We had neighbors on all sides and behind us.  Our neighborhood was always quiet after dinner time.

Seems like most people have forgotten how to be good neighbors nowadays.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Valued Contributor

Also Julie92,

I had to deal with crazy sounds invading my house also.  I invested in a sound bar to add base to my television in the middle of my house, then even put on relaxing dvds.  Anything that suits you.  Also my bedroom bordered the noisy neighbors and I got a white noise machine that basically sounds like a fan.  I hated it.  Couldn't stand it or sleep, then after I realized I wasn't listening to the neighbors I fell asleep.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I think I'd give them another shot.  Both you and your husband go over and talk about the barking.  Stay calm, no threats, no raised voices no matter what the neighbors say.  Explain the issue and insist they do something about the barking.  You'd like to handle it without getting other parties involved.  If it doesn't get better and stay that way, you'll have no other choice and will get others involved.  If they are not receptive, you know your next step.  Don't feel bad, dial 911.

Moving would definitely solve the problem, but it's not an inexpensive alternative.  I wish you the best.

I sure hope no one wastes 911 bandwidth for this stuff! Most areas have non-emergency numbers for complaints like this. it is NOT an emergency!

Super Contributor

Have you ever considered a Dog Silencer Pro?  Look it up online, it really works.  When the dogs bark it emits a high frequency sound only they can hear and it trains them to shut up. There are many on the market but this one works the best, is the most powerful, and you can even get them with camo or different colors to blend in with your landscaping.  I feel for you as we have had dogs like that right behind us.  Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Julie928~~~I truly feel your pain, as I have had a situation similar with my next door neighbor.  There is a leash law and everyone abides by it EXCEPT this neighbor.  This neighbor thinks she is the only one who doesn't have to follow the rules. 

She and her husband are gone ALL day, so the three, sometimes four dogs and two cats are in the house all day. When they are let out, they all head for the streets, go in other people's yards ( that means to do their business too, never in their own) while chasing traffic and barking like crazy. They are let out first thing in the morning, sometimes at noon, around five PM and all week ends. 

They are the type that can chase the mailman, UPS truck, and any other traffic and get within INCHES of the tires and not get run over....I have no clue as to how they are still alive. I have witnessed more cars than I care to talk about screech on their brakes to avoid hitting them....owners are nowhere in sight. 

When they thought they could come over here every day, pooping and barking,etc., I did the "nice talk." IT DOES NOT WORK. It continued, so I explored other avenues. 

I called the NON emergency # several times....a joke. 

We have a noise ordinance and got the song and dance that the noise level has to be a certain decibel.....that is code for I don't want to do my job. 

The dog warden was worthless as well. 

Here is the best one....their cat comes over EVERY day and comes through the gazebo that is connected to my pool fence and POOPS on the top step of the pool!  It's lovely to have to clean up after a neighbor's pet every day. So gross.

Anyway, these people shouldn't have animals, or should move somewhere out by themselves. They are relatively new here and I have lived here since 1976.....grandfathered in, so I am going nowhere. 

I wish you good luck, you should not have to be subjected to that when a constant barking dog does interfere with quality of life, peace, and well being. 

Trusted Contributor

There is an ordinance in my neighborhood.  The first time the police are called, they will talk to the offenders and give them a warning,  the 2nd time they receive a letter from the city.  The third time they are fined.  If it continues, the fine is increased.

If other neighbors are bothered have them call the police as well.  If none of that works, then I would start looking for another house.  I would not feel bad about calling the police. Your neighbors apparently have no regard for yur quiet enjoyment.

Respected Contributor

Can you record the barking and then take the recorder to the Police Dept.?  There should be nuisance laws in your city.

You should not have to endure this any longer.  And stop being so nice to her; it hasn't helped.

Honored Contributor

I feel the OP is really creating a problem within herself. It sounds as if anything this household does is not to her liking. She seems to know everything going on over there! Yes, noisy neighbors are the pits but there is more to life than you letting every single thing they do bother you. Life is short, be happy. 

"Pure Michigan"