Respected Contributor

Re: The Saga Continues...Neighbor Issues, Episode 106

@Julie928

To me your options are limited.  You have approached your neighbors already but that hasn't alleviated the problem.  You can call the authorities; hope something can be accomplished, but what if that doesn't resolve anything but to alleniate your neighbor.  You can pray for new neighbors, but that would be a 50-50 situation.  You could get someone better, the same or much worse.

You could approach your neighbor again, perhaps on other occasions they being self centered are oblivious and didn't take your complaint seriously.

You can remove yourself from the situation by moving, but is something you probably don't want to do.  The only other suggestion is to try and insulate your home from the noise.  It is unfortunate as this would be at your own expense and would only help with noise on the inside not outside.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read this whole thread, but I have read enough to see lots of suggestions of @Julie928 moving.  I have thought about moving myself, but where does one go?  We got acreage and moved to the country, because living in town drove us nuts. Peeping toms-cigarettes outside my childrens windows, things stolen off the carport in broad daylight. It wasn't a bad neighborhood either.

I love the quietness of living in the country, love how I can see what looks like millions of stars at night, and other things, but we have our own set of problems now too.

We were not all raised the same, and what is normal to some people drives others of us crazy.

Is a gated community the answer ?

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I don't know if this has been mentioned: Regarding barking dogs:  Sometimes your local humane society will come out and be a liason between a complainer and the pet owner.  They 'smooth things over', and ask the pet owner to please put the dogs in the garage during evening hours, etc.   They hint that, after a couple/few complaints, that other measures will be taken.  Fees, citations, etc.   I'd give your local humane society/animal shelter a phone call.  Ask for suggestions, etc. 

Knowing the dog was in the garage would be worse than listening to it bark.  That would be inhumane in this hot weather, and in winter, too, as cold as it gets.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

A little over  month ago one ofmy neighbors decided to use his very loud leaf blower at 7am on a Sunday morning. I called the police and made a noise complaint and an officer made a visit and told him he was breaking the ordinance.  I have no regrets about it and it hasnt happened again.

Respected Contributor

@Julie928  stop being nice and call the cops. By being nice you send mixed messages.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for your responses!  And so many!  I've read through all of them and would just like to add the following ~

To the poster who commented about me being bothered by and knowing every single thing that goes on over there I have to say you are correct!  Know why?  Because every single thing that goes on over there is being done within 15 feet of my home!  Their yard is larger than mine, yet all activities are held in the driveway, outside of our windows.  It's difficult to tune that out with such a short distance between properties.

Yes, I have been told by non-emergency personnel to call 911.  I even mentioned this is about dogs barking and they said it doesn't matter.  Call 911 and they will send an officer out. 

Children playing is to be expected in a residential neighborhood.  I get that.  But what I didn't mention and what drives me crazy is this roller coaster they have ~ guess where?  In the driveway, outside our windows.  Not only does this make a loud roaring noise that sounds like a tornado bearing down but the kid on it screeches all the way down the driveway ~ you guessed it ~ outside our windows.  We have asked them to please move it away from our house and they said they will not because if it is put on the grass the car won't go as fast.  By the way, these aren't supposed to be placed on concrete.  If a child falls out of it onto the cement there could be serious injuries.  There are lots of young families where I live, lots of dogs too!  These are the only people that make noise as I described.  Judging from the responses I have received, it seems most of you understand.  I appreciate that. 

I also want to mention that (so far) today has been peaceful.  Perhaps my voice mail message is getting through.  I won't hold my breath on that one but time will tell.  In the meantime, it may rain later on.  Please, everyone ~ pray for rain, lol!  Thank you again for responding. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm praying you get rain @Julie928.

They have some sort of roller coaster....in their driveway... Is that legal? I really would be calling 911. And it wouldn't just be about the dogs.

I was never one of the ones who suggested you sell your home and move, but my lands, what chance of selling it would you really have? Who wants to live by some sort of roller coaster? I would be calling someone in city government if the call to 911 doesn't work.

I'd be asking my mayor if he or she wanted to live next to that.

Honored Contributor

I really feel for you, i had a crazy neighbor when i moved here,so glad he left.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@happycat ~ Crazy, isn't it?  A roller coaster!  I have friends who have small children and they tell me they have heard of this but would never allow their children to have one.  The neighborhood kids are in their glory when they come to my neighbor's house.  And who could blame them?  It's when they take turns on it that I really start climbing the walls.  What's next?  A ferris wheel?  Hey!  Maybe I could market something like that and sell it on QVC!!!  :-O

Respected Contributor

Wait.

They have a roller coaster on their driveway?  They leave it up all the time?