Super Contributor

Re: The Saga Continues...Neighbor Issues, Episode 106

I have had similar issues.  Maybe video tape some of these "episodes"on your phone.  I know my local animal control takes complaints via e-mail and you can attach the videos if yours does.  Our police won't respond to dog calls - they make you call animal control which is only open 8-4 which sucks if the dog is barking after hours.  Also our animal control will not accept anoymous complaints.

I can relate to living in a home I enjoy and having new people who let their kids run wild and are irresponsible pet owners come in and ruin the experience.  A few years ago all these divorced moms moved in and their kids just ran wild with no supervision.  One woman had breast cancer and rather than let her sons go live with dad for a while she just bought them air soft rifles and let them roam around shooting small animals.  It was awful. Another lady was out on dates all the time and her one daughter needed psych meds and would not take them.  There was a time all these various kids would end up at my house on my property and I became a target for harassment trying to move them along.  I'd find my plants destroyed and dead animals on my doorsteps.  I had to install security cameras and felt like a prisoner in my home.  I got lucky and they all pretty much moved.  They were tough years though -and if that were to reoccur I would just sell.  Sometimes it is not worth it.  If you can't get any satisfaction from local authorities you may need to cut your losses and go somewhere quieter. Good luck.

Super Contributor

@jackiejenny wrote:

@Julie928~~~I truly feel your pain, as I have had a situation similar with my next door neighbor.  There is a leash law and everyone abides by it EXCEPT this neighbor.  This neighbor thinks she is the only one who doesn't have to follow the rules. 

I have had similar issues - and there really is little you can do.  You have to have proof before anything is done and even then they really only care if someone gets bit or it is something very serious.  Sometimes my pet birds get upset and I look outside and there is this same woman and her dogs out front using my lawn as a toilet (my birds are afraid of dogs).  Yes she is trespassing - and I go out and tell her to leave.  Move along lady!  She just accuses me of being a crazy B with nothing better to do but bother her when she is coming to MY house and comes on MY lawn.  It sucks because I am powerless - I don't want  to hurt the dogs, can't really touch or physically remove her or use a hose on her - that is assault and I would be the one in trouble.  I even have to watch what I say - otherwise risk some kind of threat charge.  Police would be annoyed at such a call so why bother.  Animal Control won't address those issues.  It is frustrating because in the end if someone wants to be irresponsible with their pets and a bad neighbor your options are limitedand it is frustrating.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I feel the OP is really creating a problem within herself. It sounds as if anything this household does is not to her liking. She seems to know everything going on over there! Yes, noisy neighbors are the pits but there is more to life than you letting every single thing they do bother you. Life is short, be happy. 

@ID2Really?  Yes, life is short but inconsiderate neighbors are difficult to live with, I know, I have a couple that do not care about the noise they make, no matter the time of day or night, and one of them also has a dog that barks A LOT, and is NEVER on a leash.  I feel the OP's pain...moving is not a option for us.

Respected Contributor

Dogs bark. Mine barks, and so do the neighbors. Kids scream, there is a daycare in my neighborhood. Yes, it is irritating but that's part of living in a neighborhood.

I would be hesitant to call the police, imo, that just makes me a target for complaints too.

@Tukey...my neighbor kid had one of those air rifles....I did finally yell at him after I saw him shooting birds out the window. 

Respected Contributor

This is why we moved to an over 55 community.  It was constant irritation.   Teenagers dented our garage door with baseballs.  Running across yard stomping on flowers, noise, barking dogs all day.   Unfortunately moving (you or them) is probably your only answer.

Super Contributor

I would:

1.  Seriously start planning to move to a place where there is more space between neighbors. In the meantime:

2.  Buy one of those silent anti-barking devices designed specifically for this situation of an irritating neighbor's dog barking.  Some devices work better than others, so you will have to try out a few.

3.  Buy a very large and loud air purifier and run it on high.  Some air purifiers are quiet - which is a good thing - but not in this case.  We have a big one with three settings and the highest setting really is loud white noise.  

These neighbors sound clueless. 

Respected Contributor

@Julie928  I have not read these five pages of replies, and apologize if this suggestion is a duplicate of another's. 

I have been in your situation with the barking dogs, so I empathize completely.  It came to mind one day that I couldn't possibly be the only one affected and annoyed by the constant barking.  I canvassed the neighborhood, and, time after time, neighbors eagerly agreed it was a disturbing nuisance. There is strength in numbers, so we met as a group and knocked on their door.  As a group we informed the dog owners we were fed up and presented them with a copy of the city ordinance against loud dogs.  

This solved our problem, but if it had not, I would have had no problem calling the police.  Our city also had an arbitration program whereby we could have filed an official complaint. Learn what tools you have at your disposal and use them.  This is a quality of life issue.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I would not call 911.  911 is for emergency calls.  BArking dogs are not a emergency.  GEt the phone number for non-emergency calls.

Get a tape recorder.  PUt it on the,window ledge.  WHen the dogs start barking state the date and time and let it run until,the dogs stop barking.  STate the time you ended the recording.  You will need proof that the noise restrictions are being violated.

The OP has already been told to call 911.

In my jurisdiction, this situation would warrant a 911 call.

If someone is breaking the law or abusing an ordinance, we have been told to use 911, not non-emergency

If she calls as soon as the dogs are loose, law enforcement may show up in time to be a witness.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Call 911 or get a lawyer.

You don't want the noise but you don't want to confront the neighbor.

You can't have it both ways

@Julie928

Honored Contributor

If this is really as bad as you say it is then I agree with another poster that other neighbors would be annoyed....check to see if others will join you in confronting the noisy neighbors.i don't think that much can be done about children playing and making too much noise though so if I was as bothered as you seem to be,then the best solution is to move.If your life is so disrupted by sounds it would be best for your health and happiness to find a quieter place.