Trusted Contributor

The Saga Continues...Neighbor Issues, Episode 106

I have to try to find some humor in the situation, otherwise I'll cry.  Literally.  I have posted on here a time or twenty about problems with the good ole' nextdoor neighbors. So, here we go again.  This evening (and every evening around 5:00) their two dogs are let out.  Keep in mind this is approximately 15 feet from our windows.  The dogs bark nonstop.  I swear, I don't know when they find the time to do their business because it seems all they do is bark.  Tonight was bad.  REALLY BAD.  The barking went on for 45 minutes.  I called her phone and got voice mail.  I left a message and asked her to please bring her dogs in.  I also mentioned that they have to find a solution to the constant barking.  That this has become intrusive and is interfering with the peaceful enjoyment of our property.  The dogs continued to bark.  My husband went over there only to learn that she had a couple of her friends and their kids over and she let the dogs out so they don't bother everyone.  But I guess it's okay to bother us?  Shortly after that she brought them in.  Then the noise starting with every kid in the neighborhood (again outside our windows).  This goes way beyond normal child play.  This includes toys roaring, banging, kids screaming, running back & forth outside our windows.  I ask this ~ am I wrong to start calling the police?  I don't think I can do much about living next to a residential Six Flags but should I call about the dogs?  I have tried being nice.  I have brought her homemade baked goods, gave her treats for her dogs, bought little gifts for her kids.  I have offered to pick things up at the store for her as I know (and I told her this) it is difficult for her to get out with three small kids.  Guys, I don't mean to sound dramatic, but this is really getting me down.  I have no peace and don't know what to do.  It seems like whatever I do there are going to be problems.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance. 

Honored Contributor

Re: The Saga Continues...Neighbor Issues, Episode 106

[ Edited ]

@Julie928

I don't know if you live in a town or city, but perhaps there is a noise ordinance for your area.  You might want to look into that.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 ~ There is a noise ordinance that states dogs cannot bark for more than 10 minutes at a time during a one hour period anytime ~ day or night.  I just hate calling the police on people I have to look at everyday.  Makes for an uncomfortable living situation.  But is it more uncomfortable than what I am going through currently?

Respected Contributor

Perhaps you should find a quieter neighborhood - dog free, child free, or just knock on her door and ask to have a heart-to-heart talk with her. 

Honored Contributor

@Julie928, I so feel your pain. I think you were being very neighborly by asking them to do something about the barking. Unfortunately, they will probably know that it is you who reported them.

But really, so what? It's not as if you're the best of friends. Your state of mind is what is most important. If it happens again, I would suggest either that you go ahead and call the police or give them a warning that you have no recourse other than to do so.

We live in a densely populated tiny beach town. We do not complain to our neighbors. We just report them when it's really bad. And we don't hesitate to do so if they are ruining our peace.

Good luck!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

have you ever called the non emergency number for police??  Have they come out and spoken with you about this problem??  Have you gone directly to police station in your town to ask about this problem??

I would contact local police on non emergency number and ask if they would come and assist me with a problem. Most of the time the police will come to speak with you about neighbor problems when you insist of filing a report. If enough reports are called in, the police may act.

If you have spoken to these people numerous times with kindness I doubt there is little left for you to do other than

Moving or learning to live with the loud annoyance of the dogs and kids.

Just happen to think . Do you have an HOA board. If you do,that may be another source of help.

Another thing you can do is record the barking with some kind of marker to show the police or HOA board how much noise there is with barking dogs and length of time you have listen to the noise.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't call the police or anything of that nature.

Sometimes, when you fret about a situation, it becomes more daunting than it actually is.

I would just make up my mind to ignore the barking and other noises, as best I can.

I definitely wouldn't want to make an enemy out of such a close neighbor.

Sometimes, if people know something aggravates you, they will step it up.

Honored Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

@Noel7 ~ There is a noise ordinance that states dogs cannot bark for more than 10 minutes at a time during a one hour period anytime ~ day or night.  I just hate calling the police on people I have to look at everyday.  Makes for an uncomfortable living situation.  But is it more uncomfortable than what I am going through currently?

@Julie928

I understand, it's a tough decision.  People where I live had noise trouble with one house, also. This was years ago.  It was taken to a city official, not the police, and he handled it.

Noise can ruin your day and night.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Perhaps you should find a quieter neighborhood - dog free, child free, or just knock on her door and ask to have a heart-to-heart talk with her. 

It's not the dog, it's the owner. 

Trusted Contributor

@hoosieroriginal ~ I've done that, believe me.  It stops for awhile then it starts again.  I should mention we have more dogs than them so you know the barking is excessive if it's bothering us.  I have also had three separate neighbors approach me asking me how I can stand living next to them due to the noise.

@suzyQ3 ~ Yes, they will know it's me.  That is why I hesitate to do so.  One evening they went out and the babysitter left the dogs outside, in the dark barking for over an hour.  This occured between 8 & 9 PM.  Ridiculous.

@viva923 ~ I have called the non-emergency number and they informed me of the ordinance and told me I should call 911.  I just hate doing that.  Despite all of this, I don't want to cause trouble.  Ironic, huh?