Respected Contributor

Re: The Sabin Oral Polio Vaccine

I recall getting the polio shot in the mid-50s. Later, when the liquid Sabin vaccine came out, I got that in school. It was in a little cup of tasteless liquid. 

Respected Contributor

The one that formed a scab that lasted forever and left a scar. 

That was probably the smallpox vaccine. I remember getting scratched and have the same little scar on my upper left arm.

Respected Contributor

It seems even the polio vaccine is not 100% effective and safe after all these years.

an imperfect vaccine, in that it might not be 100% effective, is better than no vaccine.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@tototwo  I'm glad you find this thread interesting. My real purpose in starting it was to point out that my contemporaries and I were the first to take a  brand new vaccine. 

so?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

if anyone is interested in how TB was treated in the 30's--the stone age, really--you should read a book by Betty MacDonald, The Plague And I.  She had tb and had to go to a sanitorium; there were no medicines for it back in those days. Patients had to lay perfectly still in wards where huge windows were left open, day and night, because it was thought that keeping patients cool would lower their body temperatures and therefore lower the amount of energy they used.

It sounds like it was hell; I'm so glad we have modern treatments today.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

if anyone is interested in how TB was treated in the 30's--the stone age, really--you should read a book by Betty MacDonald, The Plague And I.  She had tb and had to go to a sanitorium; there were no medicines for it back in those days. Patients had to lay perfectly still in wards where huge windows were left open, day and night, because it was thought that keeping patients cool would lower their body temperatures and therefore lower the amount of energy they used.

It sounds like it was hell; I'm so glad we have modern treatments today.

So?