Respected Contributor

I just looked at some pics of the Royal Family and others who attended Prince Philip's funeral and it just amazes me just how wonderful all the women look in hats.  How is that possible.  I put on a hat and look like a frump!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: The Royals and Hats

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker 

I think it has to be the right hat for your head shape, size and your style, your attire.  I think Kate Middleton could wear a sack and a hat and look good.  I could not imagine the queen without a hat.  Sophie Wessex looks great in hats.  I think Camilla is one of those people who has to have her hat styled for the shape of her face, her hair color and attire.  Many of us do.  I just cannot imagine that sweet queen without a hat to match her wardrobe du jour.  

I am a frump but I can wear hats.  I can wear any shape glasses and almost any haircut that Halle Berry can wear -- I can wear.  It has to do with the shape of my face and nothing else.  It does not matter about my body --- I can do hats.  Now, the rest of me is problematic.

Trusted Contributor

Perhaps, you can visit a shop solely devoted to millinery and work with the stylist/ milliner to choose a style that accentuates your best features.  Some of the "upscale" stores had millinery departments and experienced sales staff to assist in the selection of hats, for example, Marshall Fields, Bonwit Teller, Saks, and Neiman Marcus aa well as some mid-range department stores..

Women in the royal family look great in hats, I suspect, because they employ the services of an experienced milliner fully knowledgeable about their tastes, facial characteristics, occasion at which the hat will be worn, and the skill needed to create something unique.

Honored Contributor

There is something about the Queen wearing a hat that seems natural and normal, like wearing her crown, but the rest of the royal ladies IMO look frumpy and out of step with the times.  Camilla is the biggest disaster with her huge, wide hats that serve to make her look wider and emphasize her facial flaws.  She'd do well to leave her hats at home.  The younger royals in their hats look like premature matrons. Princess Anne also looks unnatural and out of place in a hat.  They do nothing for her. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Well, this was my fascinator when Harry and Meghan got married.  And of course since I couldn't possibly wear it again, I turned it back into a door wreath.

20210418_210308.jpg

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick    Looks like you had a fun wedding celebration even if a geranium fell on your head. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have a large head and hats just don't work for me.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Only Kate looked good, but she usually does.

The queen looks like a queen, sort of part of her costume.  Camilla, ah well.

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick    Great picture, but I wouldn't wear it out to meet your deer.   One might decide that it is too delicious to wear!   

I had those faux leaf fences that the Q used to sell.  They looked fine until the deer that visit my yard decided that it was a buffet for them. They made short work of my once attractive fence. BTW, they only ate the leaves and left the wood alone.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor
I grew up wearing hats both for church and as part of school uniforms. I don’t have an issue re hats. Around here you see them worn all year around.