Honored Contributor

Re: The Richest Family in Every U.S. State (updated october 2020)

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Any single, heterosexual, good looking, lonely, 60 year old men on the list? (Just Kidding!)

@Goldengate8361 

They would probably be looking for a 20 year old!

Esteemed Contributor

Imagine what America would be like if these wealthy families pulled their resources together and didn't just give, but gave until it was slightly uncomfortable? Brave, new world. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 

Thank you for posting that most interesting articles.  The families that devote a portion of their riches to non-profits are to be blessed !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

De Vos, as in what's-her-name?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

Dang, wish it were my name on that list!! Most of that is old money...people with vision and willing to take a chance.  They say money won’t make you happy but I can tell you I’d be one happy happy fool after counting pennies all my adult life🥴. Paycheck to paycheck. One reason We haven’t retired yet.  I know, be grateful I have something to count.

Tom Benson (Louisiana) definitely wasn't old money.  He was a poor boy who made his fortune first with auto dealerships and then in banking.  Finally he got into sports franchises, buying the Saints in 1985 and the Pelicans in 2012.  Definitely a self made man.  Benson passed in 2018 and left his fortune to his third wife, Gayle.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

Not a surprise for Missouri - one of the Anheuser Busch heirs. They started their empire in St. Louis.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

De Vos, as in what's-her-name?

Yes

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Nobless oblige

Noblesse oblige (/noʊˌblɛs əˈbliːʒ/; French: [nɔblɛs ɔbliʒ]; literally “nobility obliges”) is a French expression used in English meaning that nobility extends beyond mere entitlements and requires the person who holds such a status to fulfill social responsibilities. For example, a primary obligation of a nobleman could include generosity towards those around him.

The Oxford English Dictionary states that the term suggests "noble ancestry constrains to honourable behaviour; privilege entails responsibility."

The Dictionnaire de l'Académie française defines it thus:

1 Whoever claims to be noble must conduct himself nobly.

2 (Figuratively) One must act in a fashion that conforms to one's position and privileges with which one has been born, bestowed and/or has earned.

"Noblesse oblige" is generally used to imply that with wealth, power, and prestige come responsibilities.

In ethical discussion, it is sometimes[citation needed] used to summarize a moral economy wherein privilege must be balanced by duty towards those who lack such privilege or who cannot perform such duty.

Finally, it has been used recently to refer to public responsibilities of the rich, famous and powerful, notably to provide good examples of behaviour or to exceed minimal standards of decency. It has also been used to describe a person taking the blame for something in order to solve an issue or save someone else.

History and examples

An early instance of this concept in literature may be found in Homer's Iliad. In Book XII, the hero Sarpedon delivers a famous speech in which he urges his comrade Glaucus to fight with him in the front ranks of battle. In Pope's translation, Sarpedon exhorts Glaucus thus:

'Tis ours, the dignity they give to grace

The first in valour, as the first in place;

That when with wondering eyes our confidential bands

Behold our deeds transcending our commands,

Such, they may cry, deserve the sovereign state,

Whom those that envy dare not imitate!

In Le Lys dans la Vallée, written in 1835 and published in 1836, Honoré de Balzac recommends certain standards of behaviour to a young man, concluding: "Everything I have just told you can be summarized by an old word: noblesse oblige!"[1] His advice had included comments like "others will respect you for detesting people who have done detestable things."

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Rich in dollars maybe but money isn't everything.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 

Thanks for posting this link. It is very interesting and I found out that if I clicked on the pictures, it would post a short biography.