Honored Contributor

Re: The Richest Family in Every U.S. State (updated october 2020)

Interesting...I checked it out.  Most are billionaires but one family only has several hundred million.  (Cant remember which one).

The irony is that Bill Gates who is the second wealthiest in the US is not on the list because the wealthiest person lives in the same state!....he didn't make the list!  LOL!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

Interesting...I checked it out.  Most are billionaires but one family only has several hundred million.  (Cant remember which one).

The irony is that Bill Gates who is the second wealthiest in the US is not on the list because the wealthiest person lives in the same state!....he didn't make the list!  LOL!

@haddon9  I'm surprised he even is second since he gives most of it away.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

He is the second wealthiest in the world. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

@bmorechick wrote:

Dang, wish it were my name on that list!! Most of that is old money...people with vision and willing to take a chance.  They say money won’t make you happy but I can tell you I’d be one happy happy fool after counting pennies all my adult life🥴. Paycheck to paycheck. One reason We haven’t retired yet.  I know, be grateful I have something to count.

Tom Benson (Louisiana) definitely wasn't old money.  He was a poor boy who made his fortune first with auto dealerships and then in banking.  Finally he got into sports franchises, buying the Saints in 1985 and the Pelicans in 2012.  Definitely a self made man.  Benson passed in 2018 and left his fortune to his third wife, Gayle.  

@shoesnbags 

Tom Benson's influence spread to our city here in Texas he had his Chevrolet dealership's here too....I still remember the commercial jingle they had when I was a kid, "Tom Benson Chevrolet has a deal for you, a deal for your children, and their children too...." 🚗  

He also did a lot in our community.. He established an endowment fund in honor of his son who died of cancer, and also established a library in honor of his son......In fact most recent, 2008, a small college was going to start having a football team and Tom and his wife built the small stadium on campus that is named in their honor..."Gayle And Tom Benson Stadium"...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Hubbs told me I spelled De Vos incorrectly. Sorry.

Living where we do (western MI) the Meijer and Devos,Van Andelsl have given a lot to the 

different communties here.

i live near grand rapids and without these three families, GR wouldn't be nearly as prosperous. The medical facilities show that, too.

Respected Contributor

IRe: The Richest Family in Every U.S. State (updated october 2020)

Good for them.  Hope they enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Honored Contributor

Re: IRe: The Richest Family in Every U.S. State (updated october 2020)

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

More than likely the fruits of their great great grandfather's labor.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

More than likely the fruits of their great great grandfather's labor.

@tansy :  However they got it, good for them.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 

Interesting to read how they made their fortunes. Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

I guess I'm neutral about such fortunes. I'm not particularly impressed by it, and it doesn't give me a warm tingle unless it comes with grace, humility (no stuff about doing it all on their own), and a desire to share it in order to make this a better world.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland