Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Red Bell Pepper That Wouldn't Die

@Queen of shop wrote:

@gertrudecloset  maybe it has been irradiated?

I'm sure your answer is the right one.  Goodness gracious.  So now everything will have to be Organic.  Just the thought of eating it because it's undergone radiation is scarey.

The FDA regulates this, but how do we know how much of this will harm us in the long run?  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Cut it open.......the SEEDS may be rotten............

@Desertdi  I'm tempted to, but want to continue my experiment.  By month two of having it, I will be inquiring with Amazon Fresh about the source of these red peppers.  Besides, wouldn't it rot from the inside first, then rot on the outside.

@gertrudecloset     I am only guessing...but peppers are sometimes waxed on the outside to preserve them...(same as cucumbers)...and I have had some peppers that were spoiled on the inside.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Cut it open.......the SEEDS may be rotten............

@Desertdi  I'm tempted to, but want to continue my experiment.  By month two of having it, I will be inquiring with Amazon Fresh about the source of these red peppers.  Besides, wouldn't it rot from the inside first, then rot on the outside.

@gertrudecloset     I am only guessing...but peppers are sometimes waxed on the outside to preserve them...(same as cucumbers)...and I have had some peppers that were spoiled on the inside.

Thanks for letting me know that @Desertdi .  It does make sense.  Like Apples on display too.  I get it now, Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Mindy D So this pepper could be bad on the inside with no noticeable difference in look on the outside?  In all my life of buying and cooking bell peppers this has never ever happened to me.  Wow....I'm going to give it until the 2 month mark.

@gertrudecloset @Yes, it could.

I have found some interesting stuff inside bell peppers. A couple of times my peppers had another pepper growing inside them. I've also had brand new peppers that looked perfect but had some black seeds inside. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @Mindy D never knew this.

Honored Contributor

I rarely eat bell pepper.   Just really don't know what to do with them, but I did get one the other day to cut up for a pizza topping.  I forgot to put it back in he fridge and within 2 days it was mush. 

I do eat a lot of cucumbers, and the wax on the outside does not keep them from becoming mushy.  

I once pulled a ginger piece out of the fridge because It looked like it was sprouting.   I left it sitting on a plant stand in my sunroom all winter long and it did nothing.  Then, in the spring, it started growing, so I planted it.  It's been in a pot for about 3 or 4 years now.  I think I'll harvest it when it dies back this winter and start over.  It's probably root-bound by now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddessmy mother used to use old glass jars to put onions in water.  I don't recall why, but I do remember some kind of growth.  These were never put in any ground as we lived in the city, but in the kitchen window.