Respected Contributor

Re: The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

For some reason in our small high school, if you were in college prep classes, typing wasn't offered. My parents had one of those old klunkers and I wanted to learn so I taught myself. Used the phrase previously mentioned..Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.

In the Catholic high schools in Philly back in the day, girls in the college prep track could take Typing & Notehand in their senior year. Your typewriter looks just like the ones we got (the girls in the office prep classes got electric typewriters). On the first day of class, Sister Irma told us to make sure our nails were short or else they'd just break off when we started typing. You really had to hit those keys hard. I loved that class, especially since we didn't get typing homework because most of us didn't have typewriters at home. 

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@PA Mom-mom   Did you have to remind me!  I hated that phrase. Type it over and over and over and over, fill the whole page she said. Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Haha!  I remember typing the phrase many times in typing class.

Super Contributor

Scooby Doo,  I’m not sure I can help, but maybe.  When your typing suddenly vanished, I think you can immediately hit  CTRL-Z simulataneously.  I think that will restore what you just eliminated.  I haven’t done the magic disappearing act for awhile, so I hope that formula is correct.  If not, someone else in these boards should know!  As for the jumping around, no clue!  I’ll bet that you could google your questions and find answers on the magical web, too.  

Now, anyone remember erasable  bond paper?  That sure saved my sanity because any mistype could be easily erased if done right away.  After a few hours or so, the ink would set so the finished page could be handled without smudging.  

Fun topic!!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa  Yep! You know how fun that is!  I am positive the piano lessons were the key!  I always typed with a rhythm in my head.  Bursts of letters and spaces that came easy were in a burst like a rapid piano run--practiced a jillion times!  LOL!!!

I have small hands and played a lot of classical music with intricate runs and note groupings, stuff you play really fast. So yes, that was the key I think.  

Wish you could have seen the faces on the guys in ComputerLand whose "hero" had knocked out low 30-something!