Regular Contributor

Re: 'The Quest for Happiness May Be Killing Us' -- David von Drehle

Nancy Drew 1:  We have a high suicide rate of Veterans, not much atttention. Add in two celebrities suicides and suddenly we are consumed with the how and why. Humans are a hard bunch to figure out.

No respect to our veterans, but suicide is easier to understand than those who are seen by society to have it all, whatever that means.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nancy Drew wrote:

We have a high suicide rate of Veterans, not much atttention. Add in two celebrities suicides and suddenly we are consumed with the how and why. Humans, we are a hard bunch to figure out.

Something like 22 vets a day commit suicide.  It’s a staggering number.

ETA:  I corrected a typo that was pointed out below.  Red face here.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Something like 22 vets a year DAYcommit suicide.  It’s a staggering number.

Per WIKI.....

"In 2013, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs released a study that covered suicides from 1999 to 2010, which showed that roughly 22 veterans were dying by suicide per day, or one every 65 minutes."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My dad was veteran and he took his own life shortly after he served his last term in VN. The military life took it's toll on him and my family.  I also lost my younger sister to suicide. She killed herself about a year after my mom passed away from cancer. She and my sister were very close. I think my sister just wanted to be with her again. My sister was only 35 when she died. She always used to tell me that she wouldn't live to see 40. I miss them all and may they rip.Heart

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I don't think that people who end it are seeking happiness.  I think they are trying to end the relentless pain and emptiness.

I think as time passes and we study suicide and mental illness further, we will find that people commit suicide for a number of reasons that have varying degrees of different components. 

Many indeed are seeking an end to pain (physical and/or mental), but others will be found to have other prime motivating factors, I believe. 

I do believe that as a whole and in general, people of western civilization are getting weaker. Of course there are many, many strong people, we all know that, but our advancements and our lifestyles and our changing values and mores, are making us collectively weaker emotionally, and not bearing up to stresses, hardships and disappointment in the same way as those that came before us. And the stresses are perhaps greater and more magnified than in the past as well.

We have higher expectations, and bigger wants and desires than many even just a few generations ago and are less effective at handling the difficulties in life or in turning away from crutches. We have always had suicide, and dependencies/addictions, but they are ever increasing as time goes on.

It accounts for more suicide, more alcohol and drug addiction and more mental illness. We don't seem to be doing very well at teaching/learning how to handle the hardships and stresses of life. And before anyone asks for the science behind my statements, I will again say, these are my opinions and observations, and I do believe some of them will be validated in time, as especially suicide gets more attention and study.

Respected Contributor

And then there are the children... Suicide is the third leading cause of death in those from age 10-14 in the U.S. 

The celebrity suicides only shine a brighter light on a much bigger picture. A vast problem, and my hope is that those who were idolized don’t inadvertently “popularize” the fatal decision usually made from deeply disordered minds. Not only in children, of course, but they are most vulnerable to what has been reduced to “trending” on social media. 

If nothing else, the celebrity suicides highlight the fact that happiness or joy comes from within, or it doesn’t come at all. No amount of fame, popularity, talents, wealth or “success” in life equals content or peace of mind. Modern medicine doesn’t have all the answers for everyone yet either, but we can’t give up in this vital search. In fact, if some medications are contributing to the problem... that needs be addressed immediately, too. 

Honored Contributor

I can get why most of the world gets depressed from time to time and that there are people who are clinically depressed for various reasons. If people who seem to have it all can't cope with some failure, disappointment and unhappiness, then what kind of hope for the future do we mere average hard working people have! I believe people who take chances with their personal safety have a death wish and may not be afraid to die.

Honored Contributor

What I've been noticing more and more is that some people/teens/tweens/adults are paying absolutely no attention to their surroundings. 

Walking around, taking chances, texting with their heads down.  Expecting cars and everyone around them to avoid harming them.

As someone here said something about possibly having a death wish.  Taking dangerous chances.    And not caring. 

Well, just thinking out loud about this subject/thread.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Best blog post I've read in 25 years is out on Thought Catalog regarding self care. It's by Brianna West.

She speaks of creating a life you actually want to live instead of a life you're always needing a break from.

So the SA's can sell you more stuff sure to dissapoint you. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@tansy wrote:

Something like 22 vets a year DAYcommit suicide.  It’s a staggering number.

Per WIKI.....

"In 2013, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs released a study that covered suicides from 1999 to 2010, which showed that roughly 22 veterans were dying by suicide per day, or one every 65 minutes."

Thanks for catching my mistake.