Respected Contributor

The Queen at War Memorial - when "a picture is worth 1000 words" - from 2002

[ Edited ]

image.png

Respected Contributor

Re: The Queen at War Memorial - when "a picture is worth 1000 words" - from 2002

@dex  when i originally posted this, i thought it was from the recent ceremony, but had to correct myself and my headline.  it is from 2002 at a similar ceremony.  a moving picture indeed.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Queen at War Memorial - when "a picture is worth 1000 words" - from 2002

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for sharing @ms traditional.  A lot of people do not realize how hard the Queen Mother worked during the war for families and refused to leave London or even send her two daughters away.  She and the King did not think it was right or fair for their family to be safe away when so many were dealing with air raids ect.........  The Royal Family stayed through all of those bombings.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Thank you so much for sharing @ms traditional.  A lot of people do not realize how hard the Queen Mother worked during the war for families and refused to leave London or even send her two daughters away.  She and the King did not think it was right or fair for their family to be safe away when so many were dealing with air raids ect.........  The Royal Family stayed through all of those bombings.

@beckyb1012  i think we got a good glimpse of their devotion and strong backbone in "The Darkest Hour."  i'll never forget when the King came to WChurchill and joined with him for a strong British pushback when Europe was crumbling around them.  it sticks with me.

Respected Contributor

I find the photo incredibly moving. The royals during WWII were heroic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Those who lead a nation are models for the behavior of its citizens or subjects, as the case may be. 

We look to our leaders for inspiration and as a moral compass.  That is why having someone of good character and intention -- of integrity -- is so important.

(Not that the leader must be flawless.  After all, who is?  What we seek are those who operate on a basically moral platform, even if there are lapses. ) 

Honored Contributor

I can't think of a time during the
Queens reign when she ever put a foot wrong. She is just amazing

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Those who lead a nation are models for the behavior of its citizens or subjects, as the case may be. 

We look to our leaders for inspiration and as a moral compass.  That is why having someone of good character and intention -- of integrity -- is so important.

(Not that the leader must be flawless.  After all, who is?  What we seek are those who operate on a basically moral platform, even if there are lapses. ) 

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IMW wrote:

I find the photo incredibly moving. The royals during WWII were heroic.

------------------

Me too!!  Very touching....

Esteemed Contributor

2002 was the year she lost her sister and mother.  Now that I am down to only one sister left of all I had 50 years ago, I can see why she might be sad to remember who used to there with her.