Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Q’s Hand Sanitizer/the KN95 masks

@Kachina624 wrote:

@JumpTheRope   What are your family members doing for eye protection?  Any droplets floating in the air can enter the bodoy through eye membranes just as easily as through nose or mouth.  That's why the medicos wear eye shields.

@Kachina624   very true. ,  but we wouldn't be able to see if eyes were covered as well .

i suppose one could wear those  goggle things people use when trimming g branches, electric circular saws etc.  I will just put my sun glasses on I guess 😎

Respected Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

I just read a good article with pictures showing if you don't have training in cross contamination, gloves and masks provide little protection.

It showed someone with gloves going to the grocery store and how quickly they had cross contaminated their phone, face and hands.  People who are used to using this equipment know how to avoid cross-contamination.

And the bottom line was just wash your hands and stay home. 

Little protection is better than none.

People know they are taking a risk, quit fear mongering.

Cross contamination is going to occur when food, mail, water, supplies are delivered. 

People have to shop for food they have to eat and so do their families. 

@hopi, I don't really see it as fear mongering, but rather more of a type of public service announcement to try and help people.  I think the video that @Bhvbum is referencing is a video that a nurse made about cross contamination.  Many nurses I know are sharing and promoting that video for their friends and families.

As nurses, we pay far more attention to these types of things.  I posted a couple of days ago about having to make a quick run to Target.  I saw an older woman with a mask and gloves.  Her gloved hands were all over items on the shelves (potentiallly contaminated), then in her purse,and then she had her hands all over her face trying to adjust her mask.  If her hands covered in those gloves were contaminated, then her purse and her face also became contaminated.

So I think it is a need to try an educate the public in these times since so many seem to have such a false sense of protection just because they are wearing gloves and a mask.  Everyone just wants everyone to be careful and understand the principles to hopefully help others.  Heart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

I had no idea they were selling these things. Did it just start? 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just to clear up any confusion I created:

On Amazon I ordered KN95 MASKS, which at the time I placed the Order WERE NOT considered as substitutes for the N95s for healthcare workers.

A few days AFTER I ordered them, the CDC/WHO said that NOW  THE 

KN95  masks COULD  BE USED as a substitute.

My 35-yr old DD has a   defibrillator implant due to congenital heart failure.

Her father has diabetes and liver failure.

So as a precaution for their sake, I wanted to get the family decent face masks.

AT THE TIME, they were NOT CONSIDERED as a substitute for the N95, but I thought they were better than the surgical masks.

I care about the EMTS especially, and went to Walmart and bought 

a variety of INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED baked treats from their bakery.

Then drove up to the Ambulance Bay area/tent area and dropped them off for the EMTs. 

The nurses at the tent said they were perfectly acceptable since they were individually wrapped and that she would get them to the EMTs.

If I had no *compromised* family members I would not have ordered masks.

I don’t have any Purell or piles of toilet paper.

The masks are the only thing I thought I should pick up to protect my compromised family members somewhat.

And I am staying home except to drop off the baked goods and to visit my DD who is in decline.

So no judgment or scolding is needed towards me. lol

I am in CENTRAL MASS., next largest city after Boston, and we have relatively low rates of infection as folks here are paying attention.

Mass. has some of the best hospitals in the country, which I keep reminding myself!

Everyone TAKE CARE.