Esteemed Contributor

I just got back from grocery shopping, and I am always disappointed to see just how much milk and eggs cost.

Where I live, we have Winco, Safeway, Grocery Outlet, Co-Op, and a couple independent grocery stores.

No Aldi's, Trader Joe's, BJ's, Whole Foods.

Today, a gallon of milk was $3.17

A  dozen eggs are $3.00

Oh, how I envy those who pay only $0.50 for a dozen eggs!

I want to shop where you do!

But, I have to shop what's available, so I either pay or go without.

How much is milk and eggs where you are?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: The Price of Milk & Eggs

[ Edited ]

A gallon of 2% milk is $2.85, a dozen large eggs is 79 cents in South-Central Wisconsin.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know about milk as I only buy a pint size $1.39 in case I need it.  Eggs (Eggland Best) $3.69/dozen but this week I bought WM Great Value for baking 18/$1.04.

What shocked me was spouse asked if I'd make Christmas breakfast tomorrow -- bacon, eggs & hash browns.  We went to Publix he paid $8.99/lb for one package of Oscar Meyer bacon😳.   I would never have paid that price outrageous but he was happy to because he wanted it.

Respected Contributor

Milk is usually on sale here for $1.99 a gallon, regular price is $2.59. This week, milk is 77¢ a half gallon. 
Eggs are around $1.59 a dozen, but frequently go on sale for 99¢ a dozen. 

Honored Contributor

Milk   -  1/2 gallon   $1.95

Eggs   - 2 containers of 18 count large eggs    $4.68

Regular Contributor

We are in a major city.  Milk is usually $4 and change.

Eggs are never under $1.50 for extra large.

Respected Contributor

I am in Tucson,AZ area. Typical half gallon milk is around 1.79, sometimes less on sale. I bought 18 large eggs at Walmart yesterday for 1.89. 

I am also amazed at the high price of bacon. Fresh pork roasts and chops can be had for less than $2 per lb and we just got fabulous Porterhouse steaks for $4.77 per lb.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 The price of milk is controlled in PA. Retailers must charge the state's mininum price. There is also a surtax charged to each gallon.  $3.17 a gallon for milk would be cheap here.  I have no idea what a gallon costs though, I don't usually buy milk unless I am making a recipe that requires it.  The last gallon I bought was 4 dollars and change around Thanksgiving time.  I usually end up throwing milk away even if I only buy a quart at a time.

I buy a lot of half and half and it is easily over $3.00 a quart.  I get mine at Sams Club for under $2 a quart when I can.

Eggs used to be be under $1 a dozen and I was shocked when I saw the price in other areas of the country when we traveled in our RV.    The prices have  gone up to about $1.37 for regular large eggs and about $4 for organic free range.

Really, for the nutritional value in milk and eggs, the prices you quoted are not bad. But, a lower price would be nicer.

Honored Contributor

The last two times I've ordered groceries from Walmart, the eggs have been listed as "out of stock".  What the heck?  Are chickens on strike?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

This will sound like a made up story but it is not. Several months ago when we were really in the middle of the epidemic and people were hoarding the toilet paper and other staples I went to the grocery store. There was one carton of a dozen eggs sitting there and they were organic. The price was $9.00! Now I just stood there shaking my head thinking this has to be a mistake. I didn't need eggs but wouldn't have paid that for them regardless. The one thing I have noticed is how much cheese and cereal has gone up along with a lot of other things including the price of paper products.