Respected Contributor

Re: The Price of Milk & Eggs

@Tinkrbl44  You are outta line and your comments while may be your opinion are uncalled-for.  I have family in dairy industry and to say milk isn't healthy is ridiculous and not true.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 

I don’t think comparing “milk” or “eggs” is very accurate. 

There are cheaper eggs here (Florida) but the the ones I buy are from pastured hens. Preferably locally raised. I am willing to pay more for that. 

@willdob3 I'm with you.  Call me an egg snob, but I try to buy organic free range or pastured if possible.  My local Publix only recently started carrying the pastured eggs. I do miss getting eggs directly from the farm, but the girl who brought them to me grew up and moved away.  

I also pay more and get the ultra-filtered whole milk because it lasts longer.  We don't use a lot of milk, but I want it available, so I pay for that convenience.  In the summer 1/2 gallon of 2% milk won't last a week here.

Honored Contributor

We eat ice cream. I have not had a glass of milk in ages but I do use 1/2-1/2 in my coffee.

I sincerely hope the vegan crusaders are not going to storm this thread.

Oy.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

IMO, milk is unnecessary unless you have small children in the house.    Milk is for baby animals and baby humans until they can eat solid food.  Why is anyone drinking it in adulthood?    I also believe that we are the only mammal that drinks another mammal's milk ... and well beyond infancy.   

I guess the American Dairy Assn has very good marketing practices.

JMO.

because we actually LIKE it and it is a good source of protein? it is also used for these purposes in our home.....

recipes......especially soups and desserts

make yogurt

make clotted cream/geimar

drinking straight or using in cocktails or hot chocolate

coffee and tea

cereal

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 , you make your own yogurt? Is it better or higher in protein than the store bought?  I never had home made yogurt, so I can't compare. 

We often drink milk. It's a good source of protein and vitamin D, something people need. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@sunshine45 , you make your own yogurt? Is it better or higher in protein than the store bought?  I never had home made yogurt, so I can't compare. 

We often drink milk. It's a good source of protein and vitamin D, something people need. 

@teganslaw 

i am not sure how much protein store bought yogurt has per serving?

the taste is so much better although i do sometimes buy yogurt in the stores to use as a starter for my own. i buy the milk that is higher in protein than regular milk.....FAIRLIFE.

fairlife dha milk.png

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

We love Fairlife. We get either the one or two percent. Although we don't drink it, we use on cereal and in recipes. It tastes better than regular milk, and I love it's long shelf live and that it also lasts longer once opened.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

IMO, milk is unnecessary unless you have small children in the house.    Milk is for baby animals and baby humans until they can eat solid food.  Why is anyone drinking it in adulthood?    I also believe that we are the only mammal that drinks another mammal's milk ... and well beyond infancy.   

I guess the American Dairy Assn has very good marketing practices.

JMO.

@Tinkrbl44 

Not really just your opinion. Humans are the only mammals that consume milk after infancy. And milk from other mammals on top of that!

The purpose of milk is to make the baby grow as quickly as possible. Most humans really don’t need or want that. 

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  You are outta line and your comments while may be your opinion are uncalled-for.  I have family in dairy industry and to say milk isn't healthy is ridiculous and not true.

@KKJ 

OMG ...  Seriously???   I had to go back and read my own post because yours didn't make sense to me. 

How is my opinion "un-called for"?   It's my opinion.  And I did NOT say milk isn't healthy.   I said it was unnecessary past infancy.   If you want to drink it, fine, go for it.  Not everyone shares your opinion whether you have relatives in that industry, or not.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The price of eggs and milk seems to vary widely every week. Milk half gallon was 2.19 yesterday and 18 eggs 1.28. 10 days ago milk was 1.19 and the eggs were 2.19. I never know what the prices will be. It seems to me everything has gone up since March. Some things a lot and some just a little , and prices of cereal and bread have really increased. Even small boxes of cereal are over 3 dollars and plain loaves of bread are a little over 3 dollars. I am sure some increases are indirectly related to the pandemic, but I suspect some are just taking advantage of the situation. So many are not able to work right now; I can’t imagine how they deal with prices for food steadily rising.