Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Price of Milk & Eggs

I wish those listing prices of milk and eggs would routinely list at least their state ( this whole thread would be much more meaningful ).  Actually I wish posters could have their states routinely listed as part of their profile.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I wish those listing prices of milk and eggs would routinely list at least their state ( this whole thread would be much more meaningful ).  Actually I wish posters could have their states routinely listed as part of their profile.

@patbz 

I live in California.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Milk is about $3.50 a gallon or more, and since I only used it for overnight oats, I ended up switching to almond milk since it seems to last longer and that runs about $2-$3 a half gallon container.

Egg prices are all over the place, I paid $5 for a dozen a while back when there were only about 6 packages left and I was glad to find them.

I live in Southern California, where prices really vary depending on which store you go to. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

At $3 a dozen, each egg would cost a quarter. Surely an egg is worth more than a candy bar. I only buy free range eggs and whether they cost $3 or $4 or more, I consider them a bargain. How do suppose chickens are treated and fed to be able to sell their eggs for under a dollar? 

I won't  finance that by buying their eggs.

Milk is $2.19 a quarter but that's whole milk.

Esteemed Contributor

Shopped this morning to pick up a few things.  Milk, 1/2 gal fat free organic , 5.99 - it's always been that.  Lays chips on sale this week 2- 7.5oz got 5, usually 7.  Store brand eggs were 1.59/doz.

What I've noticed is that meat/poultry/fish prices keep going up weekly - even deli meats.  Polish loaf (my furbaby's favorite) was 7.99/lb; picked up Boar's Head American cheese 5.99/lb on sale this week.  While standing at the deli some guy was getting pancetta:  the cheaper one was 20/lb.

I've noticed prices keep going up weekly.   Needed mayo.  Got Hellman's as that was on sale this week for 4.99, normal size jar.

Central MA

Honored Contributor

WV; $2.89 for a gallon of whole milk and $1.99 for jumbo eggs @ IGA on 12-15.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just recently I've been buying Eggland's 18-count for $3.98 and it's worth that to me. I was buying Great Value (Walmart brand) 18-count for $1.74 until one day they were out of stock and I got the Eggland's instead. What a difference in taste! No going back to the GV eggs...they don't taste good to me any more. Must be the hormones or somethin'.

I'm in Colorado. @patbz 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

Im not sure I ever purchased a gallon of milk, I haven’t purchased milk at all in over 20 years.

I usually pay about $6 for a dozen eggs but I have paid more. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I live in a small town in Michigan.  We only have Walmart, Meijer, and Aldi for grocery stores. Milk has never went above $1.63 at these locations.

Pre-covid/2020 milk was .99 a gallon and eggs were 28 cents a dozen.

If you shop here at gas stations, Family Dollar, General Dollar, etc., you will pay around $3.50 a gallon.

Current prices at Wal-Mart are Milk $1.29 per gallon. Eggs are 58 cents per dozen.

Screenshot_2020-12-24-18-12-49.png.

Screenshot_2020-12-24-18-13-41.png

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Glad I live in the Dairy State. Paid $1.48 for a gallon of milk and $.69 for a dozen of eggs. Both were advertised sale prices, but I've never paid $3 for milk.