Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Pope flew to NYC on American Airlines!

The plane was CHARTERED from American.  This was not a regularly scheduled flight.  Believe me no matter how much the media tries to portray him as some "pope of the people" he's the Pope and he isn't getting on some regular American Airline flight.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

The plane was CHARTERED from American.  This was not a regularly scheduled flight.  Believe me no matter how much the media tries to portray him as some "pope of the people" he's the Pope and he isn't getting on some regular American Airline flight.

The plane is normally in the American Airlines stable, but for this trip it was chartered for use by the Pope while here in the USA. Once he leaves the USA, this plane will go back into service again for American Airlines passengers.

I wonder if a small plaque will be put on the plane somewhere saying the Pope used this plane for his trip here.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

He may have flown 1st class but he gets out of his seat and walks towards coach to talk to the press corps and those in coach.

@Kachina624 wrote:

I heard he flew first class.

The whole plane is designated for the Pope, press and entourage.  Two of his entourage are doctors; you will notice Francis limping as he has a case of sciatica.  He is not up there drinking and eating; he rests and writes his homilies/sermons.  Protocol is that he flies in from Italy via Alitalia, also while carrying the Pope is Shepard 1 and then flies the airline of a host country, also Shepard 1 both planes are retuned to commercial service.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

He may have flown 1st class but he gets out of his seat and walks towards coach to talk to the press corps and those in coach.

@Kachina624 wrote:

I heard he flew first class.

The whole plane is designated for the Pope, press and entourage.  Two of his entourage are doctors; you will notice Francis limping as he has a case of sciatica.  He is not up there drinking and eating; he rests and writes his homilies/sermons.  Protocol is that he flies in from Italy via Alitalia, also while carrying the Pope is Shepard 1 and then flies the airline of a host country, also Shepard 1 both planes are retuned to commercial service.   

Thank you, Greenhouse and JustJazzmom, for your thoughtful and peaceful answers to a poster who likely wanted to provoke a negative response.  I guess a few days of peace around the visit of Pope Francis was too much to hope for.

Honored Contributor

I'd bet my last dollar he flew first class.  The man is human and he has had an exhausting and brutal few days.  He would need to relax, stretch out his leg and maybe even take a little nap.   He's also not stupid.  He would know that flying coach would be a true nightmare and dangerous for everyone in coach.  People would be stepping and climbing all over other people to get a picture or  just to get a look at him.   

Trusted Contributor

Just wondering why this is even worth mentioning?

I will be glad when every movement does not make interrupting news.

Honored Contributor

@redhead78 wrote:

Just wondering why this is even worth mentioning?

I will be glad when every movement does not make interrupting news.

What exactly did it interrupt here?  A home shopping board?

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

Thanks!  Some day I will learn NOT to automatically believe everything people post...lol  After all these years, I still forget that people tend to "edit" things, they tell bits and pieces of a news story to fit into the "story" they want to tell.  Not that I or anyone else would believe he flew coach and took off his choose and munched on the sardine sandwich he brought from home....lol   Like so many of todays coach travelers do...lol  It is a stinky way to fly...lol

Honored Contributor

When I first wrote my post, I had just seen the plane land. I KNEW it wasn't a regular American Airlines flight. But I was watching him come down, just like anyone else, then I saw the flight attendant take his picture - and I just thought the whole scenario was cute! My statement about his sitting in coach was also tongue in cheek. On THIS flight, I'm sure he didn't. But c'mon - we all know if he had the choice, he would on any regular flight (but of course he doesn't take regular flights any more). This is the Pope who passed up lunch with Congressional leaders to go feed the poor - he asked to do that. 

I'm still enjoying the coverage. I really wanted to sit and watch this afternoon non stop, but that didn't work out. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

Thanks!  Some day I will learn NOT to automatically believe everything people post...lol  After all these years, I still forget that people tend to "edit" things, they tell bits and pieces of a news story to fit into the "story" they want to tell.  Not that I or anyone else would believe he flew coach and took off his choose and munched on the sardine sandwich he brought from home....lol   Like so many of todays coach travelers do...lol  It is a stinky way to fly...lol

There are no classifications on a charter ...he sits where he wishes and according to what he is doing....it is a matter of security...why is this relevant?  If he flew first class that means he is not the Pope of the People???