Honored Contributor

Re: The Pope flew to NYC on American Airlines!

The plane is a 777-200 and its FAA-approved call sign will be Shepherd One. After his trip here, this plane will go back into service to the US Public.

He landed in a Wall Street Heliport and with his Fiat will travel uptown to St. Patrick's Cathedral on the FDR Drive.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

The plane is a 777-200 and its FAA-approved call sign will be Shepherd One. After his trip here, this plane will go back into service to the US Public.

He landed in a Wall Street Heliport and with his Fiat will travel uptown to St. Patrick's Cathedral on the FDR Drive.

Yes, we know.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I thought he had his own airplane, and now he's on Marine One. 

I'm surprised he didn't stop in Philly first (via car) and then head to NYC.  No back tracking. 

Better for his carbon footprint!

What would be the point of his doubling back, stopping in Philadelphia then taking off again for New York?  He's scheduled to attend the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia on Saturday.  He has a grueling schedule for an 87 year old man.

He can leave his carbon footprint anywhere and that would be a good thing.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I'm surprised he didn't stop in Philly first (via car) and then head to NYC.  No back tracking. 

He landed on a charter American Airlines flight at JFK in Queens.  The helicopter is taking him to Manhattan.  I could only imagine the traffic and the security if they drove.  It takes a long time even when there's no Pope!

Honored Contributor

Wishing and praying for his complete safety and good health. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

What would be the point of his doubling back, stopping in Philadelphia then taking off again for New York?  He's scheduled to attend the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia on Saturday.  He has a grueling schedule for an 87 year old man.

He's 78.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GCR18 wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

He's 78.

Ooopsie!  I just washed my hands and can't do a thing with them when using the keyboard. At any rate, it's a grueling schedule for anyone. 

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

A reporter at JFK explained that the Pope clies on an airline from the country where he is flying from.  So he flew an Italian airline first and now that he's in the US, he's flying an American airline, this time American Airlines.  Pretty neat.

Also, the same reporter said he flew business class (no mention of first class or any reason why), but walked all the way into coach which was occupied by the press accompanying him today.

I just watched the Vespers service from St. Patrick's which was so impressive.  The Pope's message I expected to be moving, but the cathedral itself looks stunning; I haven't walked in for years and years, but having seen it in its glory, I want to return.  Also, the music was so beautiful. 

Today the Pope helped the US show itself at its very best.

Esteemed Contributor

It must have been quite something to have been at the vespers service tonight. 

Honored Contributor

The reporters on TV said that the St. Patrick Cathedral renovation was pushed to be ahead of schedule due to the Pope's visit. For those interested: Look on PBS or google 'Treasures of New York' St. Patrick's Cathedral which discusses the history and story about the renovation of the church inside and out--- organ pipes, stained glass, brass door & plaster ceiling renovation.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼