Honored Contributor

Re: The Plus Side of Continuing to Wear a Mask

@Porcelain wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

I don't ever want to wear a mask or see others wearing masks.  We were not designed to wear masks.  

Sorry. Masks are a very ancient human tradition. Masks are here to stay.

Hand Over Mouth Face Mask Zipper Face Mask Keep Quiet Face | Etsy

Only if we agree to it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

I don't ever want to wear a mask or see others wearing masks.  We were not designed to wear masks.  

Sorry. Masks are a very ancient human tradition. Masks are here to stay.

Only if we agree to it.

I think we will agree to still have Halloween and Mardi Gras masks. They're fun. Woman Happy

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

It’s a small price to pay to protect the unvaccinated. I am vaccinated but quite frankly, I don’t know if the vaccine works as I’ve been wearing a mask. It doesn’t bother me indoors, I remove it when I eat. I’m glad the server is still wearing a mask. People in NJ are critical of the Gov for not following CDC guidelines re indoor mask use. 3-4 weeks ago NJ was the worst in the Country statistically and more deaths per capita than any other state. I don’t want to step backward and see more death so I applaud Murphy. I’ve lost friends and family and one after vaccination. The CDC doesn’t have too much credibility to me. Kids are to wear masks in school. I mean why don’t the teachers wear masks to protect the children who will have a lesser vaccination rate, imho. Where ever vaccinated and unvaccinated people come together, masks should be mandatory. I’m not about to show my vaccination card and verbally, people will lie just not to wear a mask. It’s not a full body cast lol
Respected Contributor

@liliblu wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Nope, there is no plus side of wearing a mask. Useless practice. We'll be reading, years from now, how ridiculous some of the things that were done during this "pandemic". 

People with compromised immune systems have been wearing masks for years.  I know a few.  I would wear masks in certain setting pre-covid because my allergies.  Masks work.  Facts over fiction.

@liliblu 

I was wearing them in winter long before Covid and will be wearing them long after. I am immune compromised due to medications and was sick all the time starting in Autumn through Spring. Once I started wearing a mask I have not had a cold, flu etc in years. It is worth the effort to put up with the inconvenience for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I worked 50 years as a nurse and wore a mask most times especially in winter, during flu season when treating patients and during my commute. When I handled contagion or an infected OR case, I wore two. I never contracted anything and I’ve had patients with TB before effective treatment. The ONLY time I did get Flu was when I was refused a mask when I volunteered at LTC during the swine flu epidemic. Not to mention the number of patients who passed away & the majority of staff infected which is why I volunteered. No masks! Sorry masks are effective and why NJ finally came into control & finally after vaccinations got going.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 Does that mean if you ever leave your house your eyes will be closed the entire time? Because you might just see people wearing masks! Oh horrors!!!

Honored Contributor

The point of the vaccine was to free us to 'get back out there'....those that choose to continue to be afraid after being vaccinated, well that is your choice.

Esteemed Contributor

I will continue to wear my mask.  About 46% of the population is fully vaccinated; not enough for me to quit.  Wearing a mask is helping to keep me safe from others.  And, I'm not ready to be in close contact with others inside.  While I miss going to church in person (our parish livestreams Mass online), full capacity is still too close for comfort.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

The point of the vaccine was to free us to 'get back out there'....those that choose to continue to be afraid after being vaccinated, well that is your choice.

What you call fear others call being cautious. I know a young couple who have decided they don't wish to conceive, so in addition to her using her dr prescribed form of birth control she and her partner also choose "external protection." Trying hard here not to offend anyone's sensibilities, lol. 

The last thing I would ever want to do is to insult them by saying they live in fear. In fact, I admire them for the extra precaution they take to insure they won't need to make a very difficult decision should one or the other fail to work. 

I feel the same about people who choose to wear a mask.  People should feel comfotable wearing one for the rest of eternity if that's what they decide to do. It makes them feel safe to use an extra layer of precaution and it doesn't hurt me a bit not to be rude by insulting them for doing it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Some people have become afraid to live their lives without a mask. Mankind has lived for eons building immunity to diseases. If some people feel that a mask will protect them from strains of the many viruses as long as they wear it, then go for it. I'll not be one that joins in.