Honored Contributor

Re: The Plus Side of Continuing to Wear a Mask

Our grocery store still requires them, but I'm thinking come the next flu season, I may wear mine for the heck of it.  I get shots, but sometimes I see how others don't bother to cover their sneezes, or coughs.  I Just can't believe it.

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Wear a mask, don't wear a mask - it's up to each person to decide what is best for them. 

What I don't understand is why anyone feels the need to announce what they're doing. Just get on with it. 

@FrostyBabe1 Because this is a discussion board. We're discussing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
@one smart cookie wrote:
@CrazyDaisy wrote:

See no plus side or reason to continue wearing a mask.  Was just fine before and will survive after.

Do have to chuckle at the posters who for the last year have sworn by every word from the CDC and ridiculed those that questioned things ..... now seem to be questioning the latest recommendations.  

Interesting turn of events isn't it.

The CDC lifted the mandate because the vaccine has been highly successful in curbing the transmission of the virus--not because masking didn't and doesn't help in effectively reducing the spread of virus be it a cold, the flu, or covid. 

What I've been reading here is that people who are comfortable wearing their masks will continue to do so which is good for them not only in terms of their mental health--as in feeling safe--but because they feel it could help them with breakthrough illness, colds, or even the flu. 

This kind of thinking has nothing to do with whether they believe the CDC is right or wrong. It has to do with personal preference and whether or not they want, or need, the extra protection a mask provides. Personally, I find it neither an interesting turn of events or anything to chuckle about but, granted, I'm not privy to what every individual finds entertaining.

To each their own...isn't that the point?

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@kittykatkay wrote:

Everyone needs and should be allowed to do what is best for them only.  No one tells you when to go to a dentist or a doctor without you wanting to do so.  You make your own decisions when you are given a diagnosis and need treatment whether or not to do what your doctor/dentist say.  Whether to wear a mask or not is basically what each of us want to do.  This is called freedom to choose and I feel like this is what is right. 

Don't shame people who do or do not wear a mask.  Shame yourself if you do so.  No one should judge.  Care and love your family, friends and people around you and do what is best for you.....start there.

I like how you worded your thoughts here.

I don't know if you're saying that I shamed anyone. I didn't say a word in my original post about my intentions or what anyone else should do. Please read my original post--I did no shaming. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ladybug724  I didn't read all of the posts here, but just wanted to say that I agree about people not getting colds.  Not only have I not had a cold during this entire pandemic, but I don't know of anyone who has had one.    My husband and I did have covid back in early November but, other than that, we haven't had any other illnesses.

Regular Contributor

The only plus side about wearing the mask for me was I could eat broccoli and corn on the cob at a resturant and didn't have to worry about people seeing food in my teeth.

Other then that we went to Wild Wings Cafe yesterday here in Ga and no one had a mask on. All the condiments were once again on the table.  It was really nice.  Walmart is mainly half and half around here.

We are 3 weeks out on our second dose so it is time for some normalcy.

Honored Contributor

I thought about this recently and agree, there were no colds among my family or friends.

I like not wearing makeup with a mask. I 

am so used to it now it will seem strange

to have to put it on in the future!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

This is directed toward the couple posters who seem to be in awe of those who have followed the CDC's recommendations but are now questioning this latest one regarding masks: These posters never intimated that they would agree with everything that comes down. Unlike too many people these days, they have the ability to avoid twisting themselves into pretzels trying to go along with a monothical agenda.

Personally, I think that regardless of one's opinion on this, the CDC bungled their message. It's important now more than ever to remember KISS.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

I'm considering wearing one when I go to the grocery store next flu season.

I'm outside several times a day in winter feeding the birds and squirrels and will wear one when it's bitterly cold outside. As some one recently told me, cold weather is hard on old lungs and the mask works better for more than a scarf.
Respected Contributor

@Ladybug724 Reading your responses, I'm inclined to think you're taking everything personally. I see this as a general discussion, nothing more. Just thought I'd put that out there.