Respected Contributor

Re: The Plus Side of Continuing to Wear a Mask

[ Edited ]

@CJC wrote:

What about hair salons?  Shouldn't salon owners require stylists to be vaccinated?  My salon still requires both stylists and clients to be masked, but owner does not require vaccinations for his stylists. My stylist, age 50, is unvaccinated by choice and plans to remain as such. I'm in my 70's and fully vaccinated and no longer really want to wear a mask while getting hair cut and color because it's messy and uncomfortable. Yes I know I could go elsewhere, but I just think any staff that works closely with public, like doctor, dentist, stylist, waiter, cashier, should be required to be vaccinated. Guess vaccinations fall under rights and not responsibility. 

People may want to give the below some thought. If they're choosing not to ...hmmm...

from c-span: 

Fauci admits only 50-60% of CDC and NIH employees have been vaccinated
Esteemed Contributor

Constantly wearing masks and using sanitizers can wear down the immune system. Then when restrictions are lifted, people wonder why they get sick. I'd rather cut back on masks and hardly ever use sanitizer (only if soap and water aren't available), so my immune system can work. 

I can see why medical workers and dental technicians wear masks, it's important in the type of work they do. But for the general population of healthy people, IMO there is no plus side of wearing a mask right now. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

And once again, the CDC has no authority over what individual states are doing.  They only provide guidance and recommendations.  They never did nor have been able to issue a nationwide mask mandate.  They legally don't have the authority to do that. The governors are the ones in charge of health protocols for the state.

The CDC can issue any guidance they want but if your state still says you have to wear a mask, that is what you have to do. 

As of yesterday evening, Ohio's governor has said that those vaccinated don't have to wear masks anymore.  That in and of itself is ridiculous if you think about it.  On June 2nd,  all health protocols for everyone will be lifted.  However, businesses will still be able to mandate if customers have to wear a mask.     

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:
@one smart cookie wrote:
@CrazyDaisy wrote:

See no plus side or reason to continue wearing a mask.  Was just fine before and will survive after.

Do have to chuckle at the posters who for the last year have sworn by every word from the CDC and ridiculed those that questioned things ..... now seem to be questioning the latest recommendations.  

Interesting turn of events isn't it.

The CDC lifted the mandate because the vaccine has been highly successful in curbing the transmission of the virus--not because masking didn't and doesn't help in effectively reducing the spread of virus be it a cold, the flu, of covid. 

What I've been reading here is that people who are comfortable wearing their masks will continue to do so which is good for them not only in terms of their mental health--as in feeling safe--but because they feel it could help them with breakthrough illness, colds, or even the flu. 

This kind of thinking has nothing to do with whether they believe the CDC is right or wrong. It has to do with personal preference and whether or not they want, or need, the extra protection a mask provides. Personally, I find it neither an interesting turn of events or anything to chuckle about but, granted, I'm not privy to what every individual finds entertaining.

To each their own...isn't that the point?

To each their own was certainly not the point for the last year.......

@CrazyDaisy 

This isn't last year, this is now, however, if you enjoy living in the past, by all means be my guest. 

@SusieQ_2 , Covid is not the flu or a cold.  It is a totally different beast.  The mask well may have prevented colds and the flu but that doesn't mean they did much to help the spread of Covid.   

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Again. Your mask doesn't protect you. Other people's masks protect you.

If an infected person isn't wearing a mask, your mask won't do very much to protect you from the infected person's germs.

That's why when you visit a chemo patient, you wear a mask. To protect the chemo patient from your germs.

Many of us have been protecting each other all last year by wearing masks. It was the best we could do while waiting for vaccinations to become available. The fact that a significant group refused to cooperate made it all quite dangerous.

But now things have improved dramatically. The thing to do if you want to protect others is to get fully vaccinated. That is much better protection for everyone concerned. And of course the main reason to get vaccinated is that you then become quite safe from Covid. Not 100% of course (nothing is). Definitely your odds of staying healthy that way are worth betting big money on.

If you don't want to get vaccinated or you can't, then to protect others you should still mask. And I hope for your sake that most unvaccinated people will wear masks to protect you. I'm not terribly optimistic about your odds on that. Your body your choice, though.

And if you never particularly cared about wearing masks to protect others from Covid I am sure nothing will change for you and you will remain quite outspokenly happy about it as you have been all along.

@Porcelain , initially the CDC said that masks protected others and not the wearer.  That never made any sense for reasons I've already stated.  Then back in November, the CDC did an update and said that yes indeed, the masks not only protect others, but they protect you.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy ,

You are right. Getting vaccinated is another good thing to do.

And I never made myself out to be better. Just tired of all the calling names from those who disagree with wearing masks or doing anything else than what they do. See it works both ways.

But I'm sure you realize that too.

I shouldn't have made that post but probably like you, I get mad at the responses trying to put others down if they don't agree!

So I guess I'll stop now. It doesn't really matter.None of us are going to change each others mind but I guess, me included, we could have more reasonable disagreements, or better yet not post at all. And that is probably what some want.Either that or some maybe even like the arguments and the one-upmanship.

As far as statistics and facts go, believe me I read them. And the only statistics that matter to me are when anyone I know is included in the grim statistics. Yes the cases are going down but it doesn't affect those who have it or are still dying from it does it? So saying how much better it is, doesn't keep a lot of people from still taking precautions. And that is not something to make anyone feel bad about.

I think most of the posts lambasting people for wearing masks are those who disagree with doing so. Of course you may disagree.

None of our opinions will really resolve any of this so it doesn't really matter anymore.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I cannot even imagine what continued wearing of masks and all this use of sanitizers would do to our immune system.  No thank you.

And I absolutely cannot get behind waiters and serves, etc. having to wear a mask.  If anyone is that uncomfortable going out to eat, it's probably best to stay home.   

Really? Why? Just curious, honestly.

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@CrazyDaisy ,

You are right. Getting vaccinated is another good thing to do.

And I never made myself out to be better. Just tired of all the calling names from those who disagree with wearing masks or doing anything else than what they do. See it works both ways.

But I'm sure you realize that too.

I shouldn't have made that post but probably like you, I get mad at the responses trying to put others down if they don't agree!

So I guess I'll stop now. It doesn't really matter.None of us are going to change each others mind but I guess, me included, we could have more reasonable disagreements, or better yet not post at all. And that is probably what some want.Either that or some maybe even like the arguments and the one-upmanship.

As far as statistics and facts go, believe me I read them. And the only statistics that matter to me are when anyone I know is included in the grim statistics. Yes the cases are going down but it doesn't affect those who have it or are still dying from it does it? So saying how much better it is, doesn't keep a lot of people from still taking precautions. And that is not something to make anyone feel bad about.

I think most of the posts lambasting people for wearing masks are those who disagree with doing so. Of course you may disagree.

None of our opinions will really resolve any of this so it doesn't really matter anymore.

I have never seen a post here lambasting people for wearing masks.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Again. Your mask doesn't protect you. Other people's masks protect you.

If an infected person isn't wearing a mask, your mask won't do very much to protect you from the infected person's germs.

That's why when you visit a chemo patient, you wear a mask. To protect the chemo patient from your germs.

Many of us have been protecting each other all last year by wearing masks. It was the best we could do while waiting for vaccinations to become available. The fact that a significant group refused to cooperate made it all quite dangerous.

But now things have improved dramatically. The thing to do if you want to protect others is to get fully vaccinated. That is much better protection for everyone concerned. And of course the main reason to get vaccinated is that you then become quite safe from Covid. Not 100% of course (nothing is). Definitely your odds of staying healthy that way are worth betting big money on.

If you don't want to get vaccinated or you can't, then to protect others you should still mask. And I hope for your sake that most unvaccinated people will wear masks to protect you. I'm not terribly optimistic about your odds on that. Your body your choice, though.

And if you never particularly cared about wearing masks to protect others from Covid I am sure nothing will change for you and you will remain quite outspokenly happy about it as you have been all along.

@Porcelain , initially the CDC said that masks protected others and not the wearer.  That never made any sense for reasons I've already stated.  Then back in November, the CDC did an update and said that yes indeed, the masks not only protect others, but they protect you.  

They said they offered a little protection. I think we are all referring to surgical or cloth masks here. The main protection is from the other people wearing their masks. If you want real protection from your own mask it needs to be sealed well to your face.

I do think my N95 idea is a good one. If you are vaccinated and still concerned about other people's germs, wear an N95 respirator mask with a valve. You'll be completely protected from others and comfortable.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
QVC Customer Care