Trusted Contributor

Re: The Plus Side of Continuing to Wear a Mask

My nationwide retail chain employer has forced it's associates to wear a mask all day during our shifts if we can't provide proof of vaccination; others with proof can go without. That's not right in so many ways.
Trusted Contributor

And that's been over a year. Sometimes I can't breathe as well as I would like. Earlier this spring, there was a company-created commercial playing for the associates constantly advocating vaccination but not making it mandatory. But having a contradictory opinion sure has seemed to have consequences.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I'm sure it's difficult to wear a mask all day during your shift.  I have read though that many grocery store employees feel vulnerable now because they have not been vaccinated yet and fear that they will get sick from a customer and then bring it into their home.  Also it's been reported that people are getting hostile and coming in unmasked even when they're supposed to be wearing one saying, no I don't have to, that's what the CDC said. Still no proof as to who is vaccinated.  Wouldn't want to be the one asking for proof but there are still people waiting for their 2nd shot and some for their first.  Not fair to put that kind of anxiety on anyone who has to be there for an entire shift. 

Respected Contributor

I am a server,and was told by my boss,since I have been vaccinated,I can stop wearing my mask.as far as gloves go,I've never worn them.i also work at a public library.when patrons are present,I wear a mask.when not,I take it off.its very hard to work with foggy glasses

Esteemed Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

I'm sure it's difficult to wear a mask all day during your shift.  I have read though that many grocery store employees feel vulnerable now because they have not been vaccinated yet and fear that they will get sick from a customer and then bring it into their home.  Also it's been reported that people are getting hostile and coming in unmasked even when they're supposed to be wearing one saying, no I don't have to, that's what the CDC said. Still no proof as to who is vaccinated.  Wouldn't want to be the one asking for proof but there are still people waiting for their 2nd shot and some for their first.  Not fair to put that kind of anxiety on anyone who has to be there for an entire shift. 

CDC says you don't have to wear masks if you have been vaccinated.  Why are you upset about it.  As long as you have been vaccinated, you are safe.  If others want to take that risk, so be it.  Time to let go of the past and face the future. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have zero problem with people who want to wear a mask forever should they desire. I have a problem with people vilifying those that are at a far far lower risk of this and are fine without a mask. I’m all for you do you and I’ll do me. 😁

Honored Contributor

I have a problem with unvaccinated people going maskless around unvaccinated people who do wear masks and who don't want to get sick. Those maskless unvaccinated people could be Covid positive and transmitting the disease to other unvaccinated people against their will. They have no fundamental right to make others sick. No one does.

Everyone else, I don't care. Just don't be a jerk about it no matter what you do.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Janey2 

I’m certain you know hazmat suits are not being considered.

Wearing masks when serving food is perfectly reasonable.  

How many times does it take to learn that a working food service worker was found to have active TB?

I have an autoimmune disorder, I will continue to wear a mask in enclosed public spaces.  You do you.

The Slippery Slope Theory Is Obviously Alive And Well.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I cannot even imagine what continued wearing of masks and all this use of sanitizers would do to our immune system.  No thank you.

And I absolutely cannot get behind waiters and serves, etc. having to wear a mask.  If anyone is that uncomfortable going out to eat, it's probably best to stay home.   

Really? Why? Just curious, honestly.

@Ladybug724 , first of all, they are miserable.  I feel sorry for anyone that has to wear one all day or during an entire shift.

Second, some people have a very hard time understanding or hearing those who are talking with a mask on. 

Third, I find masks for the most part to be pretty unsanitary.  Few people are washing a mask or tossing it like they should be.  They are touching it with their hands to adjust it.  They take it off, set it down, pick the same mask up and put it right back on. 

Fourth, I honestly don't see the point.  If all of a sudden someone has an issue with cleanliness when eating out and are worried about wait staff possibly getting something in their dish while bringing it to the table, that person should just stay home. 

I've eaten in various places for 53 years.  I was never worried about the wait staff compromising my food in any way and I'm not going to start now.   

@Lipstickdiva 

Do you feel the same about Health Care workers wearing masks?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I like seeing food workers wearing masks, just makes me feel like food is protected better. I also like wearing mask walking my dogs kind of like extra sun block on my face....Woman Very Happy