Honored Contributor

Re: The Paula Dean controversy

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I remember when Paula Dean fell from grace.....and QVC dropped her as a vender( bravo QVC).  Now I see Ms. Dean on Evinelive.  Wonder why they would pick her up after all the problems that surfaced with her big mouth?  They treat her like she is some Goddess on that station....it actually turns my stomach.

Probably the same reason Q keeps Lisa Rhinna, which I have no answer.  Not sure why any of these ladies are still on TV.  But as a poster stated Paula stll has fans and I guess Lisa Rhinna does too.  I use to love listening to Paula and watching her on the cooking channel.  Now I cannot watch her.

It has to be because people buy what they sell. Lisa Rinna's *clothing* seems to be purchased every time she's on air. I'm sure some of Paula Deen's sales are "backlash sales" - people buying whatever she's selling just to "support" her - she could be selling bushels of tenpenny nails and people would buy them. The same phenomenon as with a former QVC host - buying to own something from "the name" and to "make (the name) happy."

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I think she has paid for her "sins" and moved on.  Redemption.  We are a very forgiving people and all of us need it at times more than others.   At least mine aren't played out on a national level.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

Enough time has passed.  She has her fans that would buy anything she's selling.

There are also those that felt she did nothing inappropriate.  A lot has to do with where and when you grew up.

Up until the day she died, my MIL would always give a descriptive term to any non Caucasian she was referring to.  She saw nothing racist about it.

I agree. Those who, basically, saw nothing wrong with what Paula Deen said and never will, and women who are not fat have no issue with what Lisa Rinna said - if they even know or care. The two channels are selling to *them*, and they are buying in sufficient quantities to keep the channels happy. When the buying drops off to non-sustainable levels at some point they will go too.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I disagree, people who aren't fat did disagree with Lisa Rhinna, people who are decent and kind to others whether they are any color or religion would disagree with Paula Dean.

I think Paula Dean treaded on a subject matter that is so sensitive the Q decided if they kept her the ramifications would be too costly.

I think with Lisa Rhinna, they simply do not care about otherwise they would have dropped her as well. It's just not important enough of a subject to the powers that be.
Frequent Contributor

She made a mistake and is supposed to pay for it the rest of her life?  Is there anyone amongst us who has not made a mistake we wish we could take back?  How would you feel if you were never forgiven?  Another case of political correctness gone awry!

Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I remember when Paula Dean fell from grace.....and QVC dropped her as a vender( bravo QVC).  Now I see Ms. Dean on Evinelive.  Wonder why they would pick her up after all the problems that surfaced with her big mouth?  They treat her like she is some Goddess on that station....it actually turns my stomach.

Because people are human and make mistakes.  She appologized and begged forgiveness and most in this country are a forgiving group.  And she has a line of products that appeal to the public.... as well as a personality that commands attention (whether we like it or not).  She makes money for them.... that's probably the reason.  Woman Happy

Her sort of "mistake" was more than a mere "slip of the tongue." That could not have come out if her mouth had it not reflected some attitude within her. QVC was correct to fire her. I can forgive her, but that doesn't mean I will support her products.

Respected Contributor

People need to get over themselves. You cannot say anything anymore or you are offending someone. If you don't like her watch someone else and leave people that like her watch.

Esteemed Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
Maybe it's okay to talk badly about fat people just not black people....according to the Q's decision to keep Lisa Rhinna...she repulses me.

I agree with the decision that the Q dropped Paula Dean...I just think they send mix messages to their customers. I for one would never purchase from Lisa Rhinna and I haven't thought about Paula Dean until I saw this post.

It's NOT NICE TO SHAME ANYONE for their looks.  It's NOT OK.  IT'S NOT OK.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Night Owl in NJ wrote:

She made a mistake and is supposed to pay for it the rest of her life?  Is there anyone amongst us who has not made a mistake we wish we could take back?  How would you feel if you were never forgiven?  Another case of political correctness gone awry!

@Night Owl in NJ

Very well stated!    

I found the comments about geography to be odd .... it really doesn't matter if you were born in the north, south, east, west or somewhere in the middle.   It was the attitude.    

Respected Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

People need to get over themselves. You cannot say anything anymore or you are offending someone. If you don't like her watch someone else and leave people that like her watch.

yes, it is offensive when you make bigoted remarks.  I wouldn't call that just "anything".

~Enough is enough~