Honored Contributor

Re: The Over Usage of the Word, "Chic"

The clothing on QVC is serviceable and can look nice, but nothing on here is what I would call chic. That is not a put down, it just is what it is. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

Exactly! 

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

The clothing on QVC is serviceable and can look nice, but nothing on here is what I would call chic. That is not a put down, it just is what it is. 

Honored Contributor

I think when a single word or phrase begins to irritate you, it's time to reduce your viewing time or watch on mute.  I experience that with commercials.  There's really nothing wrong with the commercial, I've just seen it 67 times that week. 

Respected Contributor

"Chic" is a very relative term nowadays. Everyone decides what it is for them. I see very little I would consider "chic" on QVC or many other places now. When the humidity is 80% and it is 95 degrees on its way to 101, the last thing I care about is looking "chic".

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

"Chic" is a very relative term nowadays. Everyone decides what it is for them. I see very little I would consider "chic" on QVC or many other places now. When the humidity is 80% and it is 95 degrees on its way to 101, the last thing I care about is looking "chic".

@Trailrun23 , JMO, but I think some women are just chic. They have the knack of making the ordinary look special. I do not possess this talent, but I can recognize it in others.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

So true! I worked with a woman for years and always admired her style...even in " ordinary" clothes, she looked great. I saw a pic of her last week...she is probably pushing 80 now, and she looked just as chic and stylish as ever. She was wearing a pr of peach slacks and a printed blouse. Would look dowdy on me....

Honored Contributor

Just as colds can be contagious, words can be contagious for people who present. 

One host or vendor uses a word and others think they could use that word more in their presentations ... and it spreads like the flu!  lol

Actually, the term I find that confuses people is "Dressy Casual".   If the hosts start using that term to describe outfits, I bet all hell0 will break loose .... LOL

Trusted Contributor

This thread had me laughing.  I always aced spelling tests back in the "old" days and I remember getting that word wrong.  Having never heard it before in my mind it was pronounced "chick" but when the teacher pronounced it the proper way I thought she was saying sheik so that's what I put down. My one wrong word out of 20.  Boy was I mad lol.  Guess I didn't know any chic people back then.  Or now come to think of it!

Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

Has anyone else noticed how repetitive the word, 'chic' is used by some vendors, in particular, when describing their fashions?  Just about every sentence, and sometimes multiple times within the same sentence, the word is used.  Understandably, it is a word used in the fashion and design industry, but it seems as if no other comparable word/s are ever used. 

To be clear, my post is not meant to be mean toward anyone in any way, shape or form.  It's merely something I've noticed and picked up on when watching some vendors describe their clothing line.   Just curious if anyone else has noticed the same thing.  

I can't say that I do because I don't watch QVC.  In any event you've gotta know that "chic" is in the eye of the beholder.....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Depends on your definition of chic. I've heard the expression "street chic" used to describe clothing that I personally don't think is chic.