Honored Contributor

Re: The OFFICE POTLUCK: Dread or Look Forward to?

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Ours are pretty good, but the last one had some bags of "brownie bites" that expired in 2007. 

@AuntG, that's one of those rare times when you hope for a maximum amount of preservatives.

@suzyQ3@AuntG

too bad they weren't Twinkles - they have no expiration date so the legend goes 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to love our potlucks when people actually cooked.  But now it's all pick it up at thr grocery store.  And when people do actually cook the home cooked items tend not to be great either.    Our last church potluck was not good.  Hopefully we won't have one at the office this year.  Clients send lots of snacks so more food is a waste.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I HATE office potlucks....theres only a couple people in the office who really like to cook so what usually happens is there are tons of bags of chips/dips and trays of store bought cookies, but very little else to eat regarding entrees and side dishes......Sometimes the Managers end up pitching in and getting more food from a chicken or barbeque place.....and then the cleanup ARRRGGHH!!!  Im on vacation when this year's is planned....Aw shucks ...NOT...LOL!!! Woman LOL

One year there was a real cringe worthy moment when one of the people admitted she never washed her hands when she cooked ......  everyone was whispering...."do you know what she brought".............

I prefer what one Department did...Their big boss treated everyone with a $15 gift card and they went out to a nice restaurant for a Christmas lunch. .no clean up required................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I don't eat food made by people that I haven't visited with in their home.We had many school potlucks while my son was growing up and I was told that some homes were very unclean and to avoid that food.I also worry about storage practices.I am very careful with food handling and our family didn't get the "stomach flu "that some other families were experiencing which I think was often caused by improper food handling.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@missy1 wrote:

https://pics.onsizzle.com/pot-luck-day-at-work-and-someone-decides-to-bring-6785355.png

@missy1

The kitty litter contanier created this reaction..................

download.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I do not care for eating anyone's food that I do not know personally.  I have no idea how these people live and do they wash their hands?  I think it is best that a party is catered.  Our senior complex is having a Christmas party and wants everyone to bring a dessert.  I am even leery about that.  Especially, if someone that is really old is following a recipe.  God only knows what she left out or added extra.  LOL  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Spurt,  The kitty litter bucket is totally GROSS.  I don't care how much you wash it.  What a lame brain to do that.  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I'm generally grossed out by people's taste in food, so, no, I don't enjoy potlucks. Too many dump cakes, mayo-laden salads, Velveeta dips, and Pillsbury crescent roll concoctions. Maybe it's a regional thing. lol

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

All the offices I've ever worked at over the years never did a Pot Luck at Christmas, we always went out to lunch or dinner.  Pot lucks from other times used to be great years ago, I'm 63, but now not so much.  I work with mostly women and the women would make wonderful things and the men, either didn't bring anything, they expect the women to make stuff or brought something nobody wanted.  I told one of the men that there are grocery stores and you can buy anything good to bring in, but again, they expected the women to do the heavy lifting.  Once a guy brought in two bags of chips and not big bags, medium size bags and told us he wanted to take one of the bags home and not to open it.  I asked why he brought two bags in then?????   The last time we had a pot luck there was nothing but brownies on the table!!!  Needless to say when we do have a pot luck, I don't bring in anything.  I bring my own lunch or go to the food court and I don't partake of the food other people bring in when I haven't contributed but there are people who never contribute but love eating the food the people do bring in.  

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

I'm generally grossed out by people's taste in food, so, no, I don't enjoy potlucks. Too many dump cakes, mayo-laden salads, Velveeta dips, and Pillsbury crescent roll concoctions. Maybe it's a regional thing. lol

@JJsMom

Oh boy .....  I don't even know what a "dump cake" is, but I'm sure I would never eat it.