Honored Contributor

Re: The OFFICE POTLUCK: Dread or Look Forward to?

One year the secretary of one the bosses assigned disposable plates, cups,etc to a guy because he wasn't married! Enough said.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Once upon a time, no really...anything like that brings about a dread in me, love the comfort of my home.  But then I go and am always happy I did and got to visit with others. No idea why that happens....

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2, thanks for the update!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh..................you just reminded me.  When I worked at a library, our librarian was an excellent cook.  The other gals were too.  We were a small group who worked together and we had a great time together.  Those were some fond memories.  We had a fridge to keep cold stuff cold and brought stuff to keep hot stuff hot.  Those are some wonderful memories, with some lovely ladies.  Since it was during the last years of my husband's military service, we sometimes had new faces for that year, with different husbands having new assignments.  We got to taste a variety of dishes, from other places around the world.  That's where I learned about Lumpia!! Ohhhhh Andy!! That was so good!!!  Not all of these are bad experiences.

Contributor

Agree with both statements.  I don't like family reunion food either.  

Honored Contributor

I wrote earlier that I had fond memories from a job long ago but as one poster mentioned - it all depends on the people you are dining with. At my last job (let go Sept), we went on a pub crawl (couldn't get out of there fast enough). We had catered events and just didn't like the people so the food was irrelevant. Best thing of being let go is that I don't have to attend the holiday party. 

I'm a baker and from time to time would bake just for the sake of it. Others have requested when am I going to bring in... When I was transfered to this last job - I told them they ain't getting any baked goods. lol

It is the people that makes the potlucks for the most part thumbs up or down.

Honored Contributor

In our ICU we never had a Christmas Party due to the fact that 1/4 of the employees were at work at any given time so it would be unfair to those who would not be able to attend.However, our doctors would order gifts for the unit like expresso machines and toaster ovens plus tons & tons of gourmet food would be delivered. One year we even got an assortment of cavier. We would get everything from nuts to chocolate to popcorn - and on & on. Since we never were able to eat lunch it was doubly appreciated by us to be able to just run in the break room and grab a handful of something to eat.

When I left ICU & went to dialysis our medical director paid for a big shindig wherever we wanted.There were only 8 of us so we usually had it at someones home and that way the spouses and kids could all come. Doc paid for catering and we'd have a lovely time, could be as roudy as we pleased, and generally it was much more relaxed  than a restaurant would be.Our boss would even cover the call for the night so everyone could be there.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

So how about the traditional Holiday Office Pot Luck lunch?  Do you dread it or look forward to it?

I HATED it because I was usually busy and it was such a bother to make something and drag it to work.  Then there was the person who usually signed up for "pickles" or "cups."  The rat, and got to the list before I did!  Woman LOL

Also, there are sometimes people whose food you'd rather not share. . . enough said about that!

SO what is your experience with these occasions?  Any funny stories to share?

@Sooner

I have a couple food allergies, so I am HIGHLY suspicious of what comes from other peoples' kitchens.  Plus, you never know their cleanliness standards, and no one wants to eat tainted kwap and end up in the ER. 

Just because someone likes to cook doesn't mean their food is actually edible!    

So, if there was no way to avoid the situation, I either brought cookies or rolls from a good bakery, so others would know it wasn't made under questionable circumstances.  I also brought an "emergency meal" in case there was nothing trustworthy to select from.   

Better be safe than sorry ......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter has a serious onion allergy.  People have outright lied to her, telling her there was no onion in something they made, and then 'fessed up when she got sick shortly after.

Last night she ordered Chinese food take-out from a restaurant we frequent. As always, she reminded them about the allergy, no onions, please.  The food came loaded with onions.

You just can't trust everyone to do the right thing.

ps I asked one man why he'd told her he hadn't put any onions in the food when that wasn't true.  He said he told her that because he didn't think onions could hurt her. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

My daughter has a serious onion allergy.  People have outright lied to her, telling her there was no onion in something they made, and then 'fessed up when she got sick shortly after.

Last night she ordered Chinese food take-out from a restaurant we frequent. As always, she reminded them about the allergy, no onions, please.  The food came loaded with onions.

You just can't trust everyone to do the right thing.

ps I asked one man why he'd told her he hadn't put any onions in the food when that wasn't true.  He said he told her that because he didn't think onions could hurt her. 

Doesn't that make you mad when people lie to you thinking that you are just making a big deal about being allergic to a certain food....not realizing that eating it can send you to the hospital?