Honored Contributor

Re: The OFFICE POTLUCK: Dread or Look Forward to?

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

Those  were the days I scheduled as vacation days. 

Me too ! It took me several years to figure it out, but I finally learned how to get out of a lunch i didnt want to participate in.

One supervisor had the gall to assign all the women to clean up duties one year. When asked why no men had to help, she said "women just make things nicer".

Well, I am famous for also giving others on the staff the "opportunity" to clean up.  Even Mr. "I'll bring a relish tray" had his turn at the garbage can!  LOL!!!  Shall I say I was a rabble rouser?  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

Nothing like hauling food for an office potluck on the bus 🚌.

Honored Contributor

Not generally a fan of pot lucks. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I enjoyed them. We had some great cooks. We also had a kitchen with stove, refrigerator & microwave so nothing set out. Also some brought things in a crock pot & plugged it in.

Honored Contributor

When I worked we had great potlucks. I worked with many people from other countries, and they would bring their special dishes. I can still taste one of the Indian docs noodle dish, yum. If people didn't cook, they could bring paper plates etc., or contribute cash toward meat trays or whatever.  It was festive and fun, and yes, a little disruptive, but worth it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

DD is a good cook but for the last few potlucks she's gone from Costco to the office.  Once she brought in two roast chickens, and a couple of times one of their large sheet cakes.

Honored Contributor

For the most part our office potlucks were good.  I always had to be onguard as far as my food allergies, but after watching me leave work early a few times due to eating something on my no-no list, my coworkers started asking for my approval on the dish they had in mind, and we usually stuck to very basic foods.  

Our favorite lunch idea was to use our office crockpot to make vegetable soup and chili, with everyone bringing their ingredient of choice and dumping it in the pot.   

I did not participate in the quarterly potluck that included our entire floor.   

Honored Contributor

The ones we have these days aren't too bad.  The company provides roast beef, ham and rolls.  Everyone brings the rest.  About 75-100 people participate.  Some of the dishes are scary.  I used to bring something easy.  Last couple years they are on the day I work at home.  Suits me fine.

Honored Contributor

Maybe they wouldn't be my favorite thing, in general.  But when I lived and worked in New Orleans, in the state system, they were a treat.

People are obsessed with food in N.O., and the number of talented home cooks is phenomenal.  So, in the land of jambalaya, gumbo, crawfish etouffe, sweet potato pie, etc., people could pull together quite a feast.  It helped that it was such a congenial office, with a fun and friendly atmosphere....

That building was put out to pasture after Katrina, my old pals tell me.  Such good memories, though.

Respected Contributor

Never liked potlucks. Always a couple of guys who overfilled their plates so after making food I’d have go home and get my own dinner.