Honored Contributor

Re: The OFFICE POTLUCK: Dread or Look Forward to?

@libbyannE wrote:

We never had office potlucks. Sounds a little too casual or chummy.

@libbyannE, I'm not a fan myself, but I think a little bit of casual and chummy is good.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@silver fox wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

So how about the traditional Holiday Office Pot Luck lunch?  Do you dread it or look forward to it?

I HATED it because I was usually busy and it was such a bother to make something and drag it to work.  Then there was the person who usually signed up for "pickles" or "cups."  The rat, and got to the list before I did!  Woman LOL

Also, there are sometimes people whose food you'd rather not share. . . enough said about that!

SO what is your experience with these occasions?  Any funny stories to share?

@Sooner  I agree with your feelings exactly, down to the person who somehow always seems to get to the list first to bring the pickles or cups and I'll add soda !   Also, so true about the people you would never eat a thing they make and doesn't it alway seem to be that their the jnes who are so enthuistic about having these things - LOL. !!    

@Silver Fox1  YES! YES! YES!  OR we had one who was all gung ho then for some reason or another couldn't make it on the day!!!!!  Happened more than once too! 

@Sooner We had one who--after years of doing holiday potluck "breakfast"--talked us into changing it to "lunch". No one was real enthusiastic because the breakfasts were fabulous, but we agreed to give it a try. On the day of the lunch, guess who called in sick after signing up to bring a critcal item? We went back to our breakfasts the next year, and it stayed that way the remainder of my time there!

Honored Contributor

One thing I've never understood ..... just why is it necessary for people to use their own money, time and resources to feed other employees where they work?    And who cares if someone prepares something .....  or brings chips, cookies or some other easy to carry items?   A contribution is a contribution.

If it's supposed to be a morale boosting thing, the EMPLOYER should just take everyone out to lunch now and then.  

Esteemed Contributor

I was reading back through the responses and suddenly remembered a "funny????" office potluck story.  As I mentioned earlier, our department lately just has a carry in of snacks, etc. in the afternoon.  Back when we used to have an actual luncheon, we had one guy in our department who would bring in Rabbit Stew to the carry in.  He lived out in the country on several acres and would go rabbit hunting the night before.  He always got one and would bring in the stew the next day.  I think the stew had potatoes, carrots, rabbit meat (of course), salt, pepper and, I believe he used chicken stock for the base.  

Now this guy was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet but was a bachelor and wasn't necessarily the cleanest person.  I was always surprised at how many people ate it (or tried it).  They were mostly the men in our department but there were some women too.  As for me......NOT A CHANCE!!!!!!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Years ago we had one guy who brought ONE Twinkie (in its plastic wrapper) to the organization picnic as his donation.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

morganjen wrote:

Years ago we had one guy who brought ONE Twinkie (in its plastic wrapper) to the organization picnic as his donation.

OMG! That is just about as funny as it is messed up! Smiley Very Happy

Was it just one of a two-pack?  That would be super funny!   LMAO

Oh yeah, I forgot that they are wrapped singly if you buy them by the box.  Still - pretty freaking hilarious.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt  It's been so long ago, I don't remember. He prided himself on being the office cheapskate. When it was time to clean out the office fridge, he would be there with a bag to take cast-offs home. Not kidding.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

morganjen wrote:

@chickenbutt  It's been so long ago, I don't remember. He prided himself on being the office cheapskate. When it was time to clean out the office fridge, he would be there with a bag to take cast-offs home. Not kidding.

Just - ewww!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Back in the day, office potlucks could be great, full of dishes lovingly prepared at home and reheated at work.  They were fun and delicious, especially if the office was small.

The larger the office and as time marches on, the more short-staffed or busy an office is, the results are not so great.  Example: I worked in a hospital. I came to work at 6-7 am. I had to park my car two long blocks from work. Not easy to carry a heavy dish full of food all that way. If I did a hot dish, I was unable because of my duties to leave my desk to heat it up. I was reduced to bringing a cold item or chipping in with another person who had more fluid working conditions who might have a catered dish brought in. Good, edible, but not homemade. Or I brought drinks, chips, dessert, etc. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to contribute more, circumstances dictated that I couldn’t.

As we got shorter and shorter staffed over the years, no one could take the time away from their duties to decorate, set up, or properly prepare anything. Fully 75% of the offerings became store-bought and available anywhere - KFC anyone? The employees who were tasked with “doing it” couldn’t enjoy it or sometimes even participate because of their duties.

Our favorite meals became those completely catered from outside paid for by our bosses) and set up by professionals, or brought and set up by the department’s vendors. All we had to do was eat. We didn’t have to go to an off-site holiday party, we didn’t have to bring anything, and we didn’t have to stress unduly about being able to partake.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I do not care for eating anyone's food that I do not know personally.  I have no idea how these people live and do they wash their hands?  I think it is best that a party is catered.  Our senior complex is having a Christmas party and wants everyone to bring a dessert.  I am even leery about that.  Especially, if someone that is really old is following a recipe.  God only knows what she left out or added extra.  LOL  Cat Very Happy

@Katcat1 I just laughed out loud. My mom when in her 90s made some very bad dishes for that very reason. Tuna casserole with no tuna, chili with lima beans, cake with salt instead of sugar...