Respected Contributor

Re: The Newest Way to Address an Envelope to a Young Widow

When my dad (John Smith) died, my mom was still Mrs. Smith. All of her children's friends called her Mrs. Smith for years while dad was alive. Of course she is still Mrs. Smith. They continue  to call her Mrs. Smith, that hasn't changed. Acquaintance Mail is addressed as Mrs. Ann Smith. The insurance papers read Mrs. J. Smith (business mail). Mom didn't choose for dad to die, as her sister chose to dissolve her marriage to her husband. Her sister is now Mary Brown or as I addressed her invitation to my wedding as Ms. Mary Brown and guest. I addressed my widowed friend Susan's invitation as Mrs. Susan Brown and guest, not Mrs. John Brown; thoughtful I think as I didn't want Sue to feel awkward  if she decided to bring a date or guest. People should not shy away from acknowledging the widow once was married and did have a husband during her lifetime. It's hurtful, and just because you don't mention him because you think it's uncomfortable or don't want to make them sad doesn't change that they are sad anyway. It doesn't make it any less painful. They still feel the sting no matter how an envelope is addressed. When someone changes  their title from Mrs. to Ms. that is just insensitive.

Mrs. K. Black

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a widow. You know how you receive tons of address labels from so many charities?

When they have a Ms in front of my name they are automatically trashed. I only keep the Mrs. My First & Married Name and the Mrs. His First & Last Name.

I am never offended when called Mrs. His First & Last Name.

Honored Contributor

My childhood friend mom had divorced & remarried when we were in high school. 

To this day, I still call her Mrs Smith (1st hubby's name).  If 2nd hubby is in the same room, I call him Mr Roberts his name.  He doesn't blink an eye!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I don’t have a problem with being called Mrs. Bikerbabe Smith but my name is not Mrs John Smith. My first name is not John. 🤨😉
Honored Contributor

Titles are not really used much anymore except by those older people who do so out of habit.  I never liked titles I have a first and last name and that is what I want used. 

Honored Contributor

That's a tough call, You don't want to ignore that she was Mrs. John Smith, she may feel like you've forgotten about him. Seeing it addressed as Mrs. John Smith could sadden her, be a reminder he is no longer here. I kind of think I would address it as Mary Smith. I hardly think she would admonish you on how you addressed the card, she should just think it was nice that you thought of her.

Respected Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

Most of my mail comes addressed to me without an adjective in front of the name. This is fine with me. However, should someone want to use an adjective I prefer they use "Mrs." . Though my husband is deceased and yes I am a widow in my mind and in my heart I am still married to him. We may not be together now but when the time is right we will be. As long as he is in my heart he is still with me and he will always be my husband.

@Sheila P-Burg 

THIS!!!! My husband died in Nov.2019 and I almost fainted when someone recently asked me why I was still wearing my rings. It made my cry. It never crossed my mind to remove them.

Trusted Contributor

@tiny 2  ..... They mean no harm. They just do not understand. When you have the kind of love you and I experienced that love is forever and that person will always be a part of us. My husband died in November 2007. He did not want to be buried with his wedding ring. I asked him if it would be alright with him if I wore his ring. I not only still wear my wedding ring but on the middle finger I wear his. When I die both rings will be buried with me. 

Respected Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@tiny 2  ..... They mean no harm. They just do not understand. When you have the kind of love you and I experienced that love is forever and that person will always be a part of us. My husband died in November 2007. He did not want to be buried with his wedding ring. I asked him if it would be alright with him if I wore his ring. I not only still wear my wedding ring but on the middle finger I wear his. When I die both rings will be buried with me. 

@Sheila P-Burg, Me too.

Honored Contributor

Still madly in love with my (biker) husband and am proud to be called Mrs. Biker Smith.  Now and beyond.