Honored Contributor

@shopperqvc @People don’t expect others to do the right thing... eg....I hit a car in the parking lot and went and found the owner who happened to work in the store.She says that happens often in their lot but what doesn’t happen is the responsible driver reporting the incident.i called my insurance provider and his comment to me was it’s nice that you reported it...what? isn’t that required?

Esteemed Contributor

A few years ago I bought a big plastic Santa for my front lawn before Christmas. DH & son tied it down so the wind would not blow it away.

A few days later it was gone. The heavy rope had been cut with a sharp serrated object!! We never saw it again. After that we stopped decorating the outside of our home.

Honored Contributor

@RetRNIf you think being gated will protect you from people willing to walk onto your property and help themselves, I'm pretty sure you'd be wrong.  Just last month at our HOA meeting, we had a local policeman speak to us about 2 thefts that had occurrred here.  We're not gated, but when asked if he thought we'd gain much safety if we voted to gate, he told the story of a very expensive gated community about a mile from.  Seems a gang of thieves came over the wall during the night and drove away 3 Bentleys!  Ouch. 

I don't think there's any totally safe place to live free of such thieves.  They've been around for years and years, but there do seem to be far more now  -  or it it just that seeing reports so often on the Internet makes it seem that way????

Honored Contributor

@millieshops, I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend you with my post. I don't live in a gated community so my knowledge is limited. 

Honored Contributor

A little theft humor.My friend is not a collector of stuff or technology.She came home from vacation to find her house had been broken into and nothing was taken.

She was a little upset that even a thief didn’t want her stuff and told me that it was a sign to upgrade a little.

Esteemed Contributor

It's like being mugged for your smartphone, the mugger sees that it is not one of the latest models, and gives it back.

Valued Contributor

I have had flowers stollen off of my parent’s grave. It does not get much worse than that. I won’t take flowers to their grave for Easter until late Saturday in hopes that they are not taken before Sunday. The cemetery is even gated, locked in the evening, and has a care taker. It is always very well maintained; yet, theft is still sometimes a problem. It is just sad that people have lost respect for others. 

Honored Contributor

Re: The Nerve of People

[ Edited ]

When I lived in San Francisco, my townhome's first level was the garage and there was a locked iron gate the led to the stairs to the second level locked door.  I placed a live wreath during the holidays on the iron gate.  Yes, it was stolen.  It is so sad that people have to steal and ruin someone's joy.  Shame on those people that steal.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their own views, but I invite people to check into crime rates, compiled by our government.  Surely, hate crimes have dramatically increased.  We had TV, radio, and our family read two newspapers a day - hardly people living under a rock.

I believe you. Hate crimes have surely increased since Nov 2016

I don't think stealing a wreath off of a door is classified as a hate crime.  

I do think hate crimes have always existed, but not reported. Now that something is being done to try to stop them, people are speaking up.

Trusted Contributor

OH NO!!!

I have my wreaths on the outside of my storm door also.  It has to be a person who is a near neighboor.

Can you see her door from the street???? Is she on a busy street????

WOW, to stop their car, and take the wreath!!! They don't now if she has cameras wow!!!  I must admit I am mindful what I put in my YARD, but I NEVER thought about items right outside my door.

@Carmie wrote:

A few months ago Grandinroad had a sale with free shipping for 50% off one item.  I always wanted a door swag from them, but didn't want to shell out the $$ to get one.

Since the price was more affordable with this sale, I ordered one and hung it on my door, the first day of spring.  When I was getting my mail, one of my neighbors commented on the swag and asked where I got it.

Long story short.  She ordered an expensive wreath from Grandinroad and got it yesterday.  She placed it on her front door and it was gone this morning.  It appears someone stole it.  

I have mine between a locked screen door and my front door.  She has no screen door, but she has a covered porch.  Some people sure have the nerve to steal from others...what's wrong with them?

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!