Esteemed Contributor

Our local Police have warned people to lock any car parked outside....lock your sheds, garages because drug addicts are looking for things easy to steal that they can make a few dollars to support their habit.

My old neighbor's grown daughter steals stuff from Walmart...Dollar store and then sells it on the Buy...sell and trade sites on Facebook to support her habit..

It is a different world for sure...

Regular Contributor

Hi Carmie--It's amazing how bold & brazen people are. I guess they just have this sense of entitlement & think they can take whatever they want. I cover my outside air conditioner every year & this year the cover went bye bye. I had it strapped down like I do every year. The cover along with all the straps were gone. The thing that surprises me is more and more people are using outside security cameras and even this doesn't deter them. Such a decline in morals in today's world.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their own views, but I invite people to check into crime rates, compiled by our government.  Surely, hate crimes have dramatically increased.  We had TV, radio, and our family read two newspapers a day - hardly people living under a rock.

I believe you. Hate crimes have surely increased since Nov 2016

Respected Contributor

The Ring doorbell is great.  About a month ago, we were four days into a two week trip.  Our mail was supposed to be held at the Post office.  I got a notice on my phone and saw that the postman had delivered a large package to my front dodor  - and it was raining.

I didn't get him in time, but I called the post office - which at first insisted that this did not happen.  I offered to send the video and they said they would take care of it.

I was about to call my daughter to pick it up when she could, when I got another notice and saw the postman retrieve the package.

Love my Ring doorbell.

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42   She told me that someone took it.  She was going to invite me over to see it today, and was so excited about it.

i feel really sorry this happened to her.  She is a very nice lady and wonderful neighbor.

Honored Contributor

@threecees   It was windy here too.  She has a covered front porch and everything else was intact.

Those Grandinroad wreaths are quite heavy and not easy to blow off of a door.  She always has a wreath on her door, this one was just a new one.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie @That is such a rotten thing someone did.I think it is so kind of people to decorate the outside of their homes for the rest of us to enjoy.We live in an area where some still decorate a lot for each season and reason.I just love to walk by and enjoy what they have been generous enough to display for all passing by.

Valued Contributor

Today there are no morals, no ethics, no responsibility, no respect and no manners. The "You have it, I want it, It's mine" folks take whatever they want from whoever and wherever. It's owed to them just because they want it.

We have a panhandler in town with an expensive Iphone and if you tell him you have no cash, he will produce a square that goes on his phone and tell you he takes credir cards. No pride either. He doesn't need to work because everyone owes him a living. If you just say no, he cusses at you.

I keep no decorations in my yard because they will disappear overnight. Or just be broken on the sidewalk. Pumpkins placed on a porch in the fall are usually smashed in front of the houses. 

The telephone scammers are at it daily. Always trying to take advantage of someone that may not be paying attention today.

There are multiple hit & run accidents in the area daily. 

People just care nothing about anyone other than what they want at that moment in time. 

Fortunately, not everyone is like that, but there seems to be more now than there used to be. Or maybe we just hear about it more. One can hope.

Respected Contributor

There is little to no deterrent in stealing anymore;  no humiliation and shame which we once felt;  punishment if able to prosecute is lukewarm.  In fact, victims get more blame for not locking, securing, removing and making their property less tempting.

This activity has always been around, but just not so rampant and blatant.

Honored Contributor

I have never had anything stolen from my home.  One time UPS dropped off a large package while we were on vacation.  My neighbor said it was there for three days.  He was thinking about taking it to his house and putting it in the garage for safe keeping , but didn't.

it was still there when we got home.  It was kinda heavy...

a Teeter hang-up.  

I have never had a package stolen.  But, once we got back from a beach vacation and my DH washed out two large plastic molded coolers and put them on a bench on the deck upside down to dry.  One went missing.

We asked around to see if anyone had borrowed it...no one had.

Two weeks later is was returned...we still have no idea what happened.  That was weird.